Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

Vitifolia progress report

jblaschke
18 years ago

Saturday I picked up a p. vitifolia from Home Depot (since area nurseries were clueless about their passiflora, which were either unlabled or obviously mis-labled). The vines (6" pots) had grown rampant, intertwining with each other and a shelf of "Lavender Lady" above. I found one with two 5-foot vines and lots of leaves retained along the entire length. This one seemed healthiest, if not largest, so I went with it.

I planted it in front of my house, which faces south/southeast. It gets direct sun through about 3:30-4 p.m. in the summer. I'm hoping the late afternoon shade gives it enough of a heat break. I piled on the cedar mulch and watered heavily. By Sunday it was wilting badly, and I was wondering if it would survive the week. I watered again. Monday morning saw little improvement. But when I got home from work on Monday, all the leaves had perked up to what I would call "normal," and several new tendrils had grabbed ahold of the trellis. Closer examination revealed some light green new growth leaves sprouting out. Yay!

I know it's still a gamble to get p. vitifolia to grow here. August might be too hot and February might be too cold. But we're halfway through the hottest month of the year and it seems to be adjusting to its new environ--at least a little bit. Fingers remain crossed.

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living