Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krstofer_gw

Build yourself a 'cloning box'

Krstofer
18 years ago

I made a cloning box last year for my cuttings & posted the instructions here- SOme one recently asked me about it & it appears that thread has succomed to the cleaning crew.. So I wrote it again & pit it on my site.

You can check it out here.

It works very well- 2 weeks ago I put a bunch of sunburst & serrato-digitata cuttings in there- Yesterday or the day before I checked them and almost all were rooted so I transplanted them to dirt filled pots & put them outside.

Now I can trim some of the ones who are going crazy & make some trade items.

Anyway- now all can have the information again. Enjoy.

Comments (5)

• cincinnata
    18 years ago

Greatful thanks for putting it somewhere it won't disappear! I have told a lot of people about it and from now on I can give them the link. BTW I don't know if you have the book 'Farbatlas Passionsblumen' by Bettina & Torsten Ulmer (recommended by Myles when I visited him) but I have just received it from Amazon. I think it would interst you as over half the book is on hybrids and it gives photos and the parentage - its quite incredible the different flowers produced by the same cross. There is minimal text in German/English but the photos are excellent.

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I actually just bought one from Amazon.de - It's on it's way from Germany as I type.

Upgraded my box too- Went and picked up the biggest "tote" type thing I could find- And lined the inside with mylar film. NOw more light gets bounced back toward the plants- And with 8 bulbs in there lumens / sq foot shouldn't be a problem. It's about 18" tall so the heat from the bulbs should easily escape before it fry's the plants.. At lest I hope.

• cincinnata
    18 years ago

Krs, just so you can see your invention is crossing boundaries. I explained it to a young medical student who is just getting interested in gardening and this is what he has come up with - and he's very pleased with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juan Andres' box

• Krstofer
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Nice!
    Only thing is, if the 2 "chimney's" are the only holes in the box, then 1 must be shorter tham the other, say 2" for 1 & 24" for the other, or there will be no airflow.

Cold air in the short one, hot out the tall.

Good to know you guys are building them, and they're workin' well!

• cincinnata
    18 years ago

Thanks Krs, I'll pass the info along re: the chimneys.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH