Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' to Bloom

mark4321_gw
13 years ago

My Passiflora 'Mission Dolores' (P. parritae x P. antioquiensis, Carlos Rendon's hybrid) has a big bud that should open soon:

The peduncle of this particular flower (so far) is shorter than this is typical for this hybrid--it can be a foot or more longer.

I bought the plant at Strybing Arboretum (SF Botanical Garden) last June in a 1 gallon pot. I quickly moved it into a 5 gallon pot. It was damaged slightly by our freeze last December (2 nights of 27-28 F).

I'm a bit surprised it's blooming in the middle of the summer, but we've had a cool summer, with almost all days in the 70s--only 3 or 4 above 90, I think. Nights have been in the 50s.

A rooted cutting off this plant has actually been blooming for quite a while this year--it's in the ground in Southern California and is a much bigger plant (socalbill's plant).

Comments (12)

• pshawn
    13 years ago

Beautiful! That is odd about the shorter peduncle. Is this plant a seedling or from a cutting? Have you tried eating its fruit?
    shawn

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Shawn,

I understand there can be quite a bit of variability in peduncle length, although this is definitely on the short side.

This plant was propagated at Strybing, I assume from a cutting.

I've tasted the fruit twice--from other peoples' plants. Once was last September--it was great. The other time was in March and it was not as good. The Winter fruits are considerably smaller, as well. The plant is self-fertile.

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well the bud is a bit bigger, but not open yet. Tomorrow's forecast high is 97 and Tuesday's is 99. We'll see if the bud makes it... If not, this will be a "before" picture:

My P. antioquiensis is also attempting a bud--I'm not sure if this is viable or not:

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yesterday we hit 97. This morning the flower is opening. Three different forecasts for today give different numbers: 99, 101 and 102. I also have a couple P. x exoniensis (P. antioquiensis x P. tripartita var. mollissima) flowers open and I'll try pollinating them.

Right now it's only 57. I imagine the plants enjoyed the break from the heat

• mark4321_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, we hit 104 yesterday. At first (yesterday evening) I thought the flower was OK--it looked the same as in the morning:

From below (it's huge--7 inches across):

However, this morning it doesn't look so good:

The pollen is kind of clumpy, but I tried selfing the flower as well as using the pollen on P. x exoniensis.

Today it's "only" supposed to be in the upper 90s...

• passifreak
    13 years ago

Hi Randy,

thats an really nice flower!

Congratulations! And it haves really nice colours!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I wonder if you'll get a fruit? It's a beautiful color with the orange tint on the outside. I wonder if mine will look the same? I'm crossing my fingers that we'll heat the big greenhouse so I don't have to cut many of my passies back in the fall.

• piksi_hk
    13 years ago

I planted the seeds you sent me and I got several seedlings.
    I planted two in the ground in part shade and left others in pots.
    So far, no buds... what's your secret to getting them to bloom?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I have a few plants from these seeds as well. No blooms yet. My growing season is almost over and most of my passies don't bloom well in the greenhouse over the winter. Hopefully I'll get flowers next year.

• socalbill
    13 years ago

Here are some shots of my Mission Dolores. It is in the ground and a very good grower. This is the plant referred to the the initial posting. Up close it looks like

From greater distances it looks like
    and

It is self fertile. If selfed you get fruit like these

• HU-860436347
    4 years ago

Hi, would anyone have seeds or cuttings or plant I could purchase of Mission Dolores, I have been looking for this plant for months. No one seems to sell them anymore.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting