Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
irish_rose_grower

New to passiflora, can you offer suggestions?

irish_rose_grower
18 years ago

HI. I wanted to try growing a really pretty passiflora.

My questions is, can I overwinter this in my house in a southern window without too much trouble and then bring it outdoors in the summer?

Any suggestions for an easy to grow one for a beginner? And is it easy to grow these from seed, or should I start with an established plant?

Thank

Maureen

Comments (3)

• jblaschke
    18 years ago

I'm quite new at passiflora myself, but I do know your climate will make a significant difference as to which will do best for you. Some varietals, such as incense, do incredibly well in the south without having to be brought in during the winter and thrive in the heat of summer. Others are traumatized by scorching summer heat and prefer milder nights. I know a good number of people do bring in their plants for the winter, and grow them in pots with trellises.

A good, all-purpose website I've found is Passiflora Online. The guy who runs it is a Brit with a passion for passiflora. His climate is obviously different from yours, but it's closer to New York than what we experience in Texas, so it might be a good place to start.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.passionflow.co.uk/

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

Seeds can seem to take forever to sprout.. Or pop right up. I've had some in the ground for over a year and a half- they're just coming up now.

Couple years ago I got so frustrated w/ seeds I decided to go with plants only.. Then I ran out of commonly available varieties & had to go back to seeds. Some are still hard to germinate, but I just leave them alone & wait. Sometimes for a really long time.

I would pick up a caerulea, incense or alto-caerulea at one of the big home stores- those guys have done fairly well for me.

• chills71
    18 years ago

Lavender Lady is the easiest one I overwinter. It has been blooming for over a week now and hasn't had a day with less than 6 blooms. It has buds for the next 2+ weeks forming as well.

It does lose some leaves, especially when I forget to water. It is somewhat forgiving, though. It generally does not bloom indoors for me over the winter. Vitifolia blooms indoors for me, but by the end of the winter it looks like I've nearly killed it. It sulks for a month outside and then bounces back looking better than ever.

Incense attracts every mite and problem possible when overwintered indoors. By the time I moved it outside it looked terrible, but had a couple buds. It has bloomed on and off, but I just cut it back hard to get it to rejuvinate itself before I bring it in.

Edulis looks great all winter long, huge green leaves. No one can believe its real. It also has never bloomed for me. I have another one that I can't identify and it too has not bloomed for me.

Incarnata hates being indoors and potted. That one belongs outside, even in Mi.

~Chills

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals