Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Maypop's and Passion fruit the same??

Posted by tglovell z6KY (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 3, 08 at 12:48

I have a passion vine that I found growing wild, planted in the fall of last year, this year it is covering one side of my porch and has fruit hanging from it. I have been reading other post that were talking about maypops and the discription is the same as the fruit from my passion vine, the fruit is about the size of a lemon, green and has no pulp on the inside just lots of white seed. I'm sure the fruit is not ripe yet for the seeds to still be white but will it not have any pulp in it when ripen and is this fruit okay to eat? The bloom on mine is the exact bloom that is at the top of this forum.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Maypop's and Passion fruit the same??

maypop is a common name for passiflora incarnata. yep, same thing.

o

if the seeds are not yet black you will find that the fruit is not ripe.

~Chills

o

They don't really get pulp but the seeds are surrounded by arils that are filled with juice when ripe. I think it smells kind of like Hawaiian Punch (which I think is flavored with passion fruit).
Karyn

o

"Passion fruit" is somewhat of a generic term for any fruit from a Passiflora, but is most commonly used for the commercially grown fruit from P. edulis. Maypops are closely related, and some taste similar to P. edulis when fully ripe. In order to taste a ripe one, you will need to let the fruit drop off the vine on its own. Don't pick it. After it falls off, let it sit in a cool dry spot indoors for a few days until the outside starts to wrinkle. At this stage, it should be as good as it will get. I find that most maypops have a "Hawaiian Punch" type of flavor, but also an unpleasant aftertaste.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here