Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Successful seeding methods

Posted by verticaltriage 8 NC (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 12, 08 at 13:41

Hi! I'm new to the site. I had a passiflora two years ago on my back porch and when I forgot to bring it in for the winter it died. Well, I thought it had died. It sat in a pot "dead" for a few months and when nothing happened I threw it out at the edge of my property. Yesterday I found that it is growing every where in the weeds there. I pulled some of the fruit and harvested the seeds. I would like to grow them but I'm having a hard time identifying the vine. The flower looks to be incarnata but the fruit does not match the incarnata fruit id. The seeds are green and have a type of envelope on them that I have pulled off. I would like to know if anyone knows which plant I have and how I go about seeding them. Thank you! (Zone 8, NC)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Successful seeding methods

Take a look at the images on this website:
http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/paqin.htm
If this matches your plant, I have the same.
If you pulled the fruit from the plant, it wasn't ripe yet and the seeds were not mature. When mature, the seeds will be black, and each surrounded by juice in it's own sack. The cavity of the fruit will be full. You can even smell the ripe passion fruit perfume through the skin. Look around the plant to see if you can find some fruit that has fallen off on it's own. If you find one that has fallen off and is starting to wrinkle, the seeds should be mature.

Germination is easy...

*Remove the pulp from the seed.
*Plant the fresh seed in moist seed-starting mix
(you can use a tray with cover, or pots).
*Place in a warm area or on a heating pad set on low.
(you may want to cover the heating pad with a towel
and be careful not to get it wet when watering the
containers. If using pots, place them inside a
plastic bag and close the top. Either way, make
sure the seed starting mix stays moist).
*When sprouts appear, remove cover from tray, or
plastic bag from pots).

By the way, the fruit is edible and very pleasant if ripe.
The easiest way to open it is to pull out the stem, then pinch the top on each side and pull it in half. The pulp comes out very easily with a fork or spoon. You can eat the seeds or not. They are woody and crunchy like a coffee bean. A friend was telling me they are a good source of antioxidants, but I have not confirmed this. If you want more information, go to the main passiflora forum to see other topics. I have one other post under the forum titled "maypop fruit?"
Hope this helps...I'm still learning about it myself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here