Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

ID please

karyn1
17 years ago

This is another of those whose bud wants to take forever to open. I was hoping that someone could ID it at this stage because it's driving me nuts! It looks like it will be dark red and white as far as I can tell. The bud is pretty big, about 2" long. TIA

Karyn

Comments (9)

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Ummmmm..... Some variant of quadrangularis. Look at the leaves- how many little "bumps" are on the stem of the leaf?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the ID. There are 4 bumps on the stems. I just wish it would hurry up and open already. This is one of my new ones from this year that had the tag blown off during a storm. I have two more that I need to ID but they aren't flowering yet : (
    Karyn

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The bloom has finally started to open and it's huge, almost as big as my hand! It also has a wonderful fragrance, unfortunately some critter has decided to start snacking on it : (
    Karyn

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

It appears to be P. x decaisneana, although it could also be P. alata.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. alata key

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks Kiwinut. I think you are right. The petals are a reddish color on the outside and the filaments aren't smooth at the ends.

I have a question not about passi's. Going by your user name I'm hoping you know about kiwi vines. I got a male and female plant earlier this year and haven't gotten around to planting them in the ground yet. They are both in one 5 gallon pot. I don't remember the varieties but they are supposed to be cold hardy. Can I leave them in the pot in an unheated garage this winter? Thanks again.
    Karyn

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

Karyn,

They will probably do best if just left outdoors in a shady spot. Your un-heated garage may not stay cold enough at times to keep them dormant.

~kiwinut

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the info. So it doesn't matter if the roots freeze? I was planning on getting them in the ground this summer but it's looking less likely everyday. I've heard that they are fairly aggressive and need a good amount of space to climb. I haven't cleared away the area that I was planning on putting them yet.
    Karyn

• kiwinut
    17 years ago

If they are hardy kiwis such as A. arguta or A. kolomikta, then the roots will be just fine in pots. I have several I have left outdoors for years in 2-3 gallon pots. They easily survived temps as low as -5 F.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. That's one less thing that has to be moved : )
    Karyn