Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID please

Posted by karyn1 MD 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 20, 06 at 13:45

This is another of those whose bud wants to take forever to open. I was hoping that someone could ID it at this stage because it's driving me nuts! It looks like it will be dark red and white as far as I can tell. The bud is pretty big, about 2" long. TIA
Karyn
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID please

Ummmmm..... Some variant of quadrangularis. Look at the leaves- how many little "bumps" are on the stem of the leaf?

o

Thanks for the ID. There are 4 bumps on the stems. I just wish it would hurry up and open already. This is one of my new ones from this year that had the tag blown off during a storm. I have two more that I need to ID but they aren't flowering yet : (
Karyn

o
RE: ID please it finally opened!

The bloom has finally started to open and it's huge, almost as big as my hand! It also has a wonderful fragrance, unfortunately some critter has decided to start snacking on it : (
Karyn

o

It appears to be P. x decaisneana, although it could also be P. alata.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. alata key

o

Thanks Kiwinut. I think you are right. The petals are a reddish color on the outside and the filaments aren't smooth at the ends.

I have a question not about passi's. Going by your user name I'm hoping you know about kiwi vines. I got a male and female plant earlier this year and haven't gotten around to planting them in the ground yet. They are both in one 5 gallon pot. I don't remember the varieties but they are supposed to be cold hardy. Can I leave them in the pot in an unheated garage this winter? Thanks again.
Karyn

o

Karyn,

They will probably do best if just left outdoors in a shady spot. Your un-heated garage may not stay cold enough at times to keep them dormant.

~kiwinut

o

Thanks for the info. So it doesn't matter if the roots freeze? I was planning on getting them in the ground this summer but it's looking less likely everyday. I've heard that they are fairly aggressive and need a good amount of space to climb. I haven't cleared away the area that I was planning on putting them yet.
Karyn

o

If they are hardy kiwis such as A. arguta or A. kolomikta, then the roots will be just fine in pots. I have several I have left outdoors for years in 2-3 gallon pots. They easily survived temps as low as -5 F.

o

Thanks. That's one less thing that has to be moved : )
Karyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here