Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jblaschke

The story so far

jblaschke
16 years ago

So I left for a two-week vacation, and despite careful preparations in advance, some of my passis were in seriously bad shape. Fortunately, I ultimately lost only two alatas, which I'd planned on using for future trades at any rate. It's going to be a long climb back to respectability for some of them, but not so bad as the abuse I'd put my sanguinolenta through in the past.

Right, so then I turn my attention to my propagation chamber, which before I left, I'd stocked with 30+ cuttings of vitifolia, coccinea, Crimson Tears and Pura Vida. The cuttings were in individual peat pots with a 50/50 mix of sphagnum moss and pearlite. I'd watered them very thoroughly, added plenty of sugar to my CO2 generator (re: Coke bottle with yeast and water) and the light was set on a daily timer. I've had good luck with this setup in the past, but my last batch of cuttings had 100 percent mortality--I suspect because of heat issues. With that in mind, I lifted the lid with some hesitancy.

It now appears, friends and neighbors, that I've achieved close to 90 percent rooting rate with this lot. Yay me!

Comments (14)

• chrismac_flutter
    16 years ago

That is awesome! Congrats. Wow A propogation chamber...interested

Flutter

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I believe I originally got the idea from Krstofer. I was tired of plastic baggies cluttering the window sill, and the labor-intensive nature of them. This was fairly cheap to put together, and works great for seed germination as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Propagation chamber

• chena
    16 years ago

Wow Jayme.. I'm glad to hear your cuttings did so well... Hope you had a wonderful time on holiday!!!
    Chena

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Interesting set up. Glad the cuttings did so well but sorry you lost a few plants. I was dreading coming home from vacation because I was sure that I'd walk into a yard full of dead plants. The temps here were over 100 the week I was away. I was shocked to see how well the kids next door watered everything, not one dead plant and my animals were happy too : )
    Karyn

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

That's quite an interesting set up, Jayme!
    Congratulations on your success - yay you is right!
    Sherry

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Since this photo was taken, I've added two PVC pipe for vent holes to keep the air circulating and temps more stable. I've found that bright florescent lights work better for new cuttings because they're cooler and don't promote drying out of the leaves, but more intense grow lights work better for seed germination and rooted plants.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Hey I remember that prop chamber setup that krstofer put up. I copied the photos and directions but never got around to making it:D Where is krstofer anyhow? Sure do miss seeing his posts! He was so smart, I learned alot.
    That is good to know about florescent lights. I have all mine under grow lights except my seedlings under a florescent light-maybe I should rethink that. I did have two seedlings leaves dry out for no know reason lately. Glad you have had good success on rooting. I sure wish it would cool off here so I could dare do some trading. I got lots of babies rooted up now too.
    ~SJN

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

That is really cool--I am inspired to try it. Can you explaina little more about the coke bottle and tubing? Where does that attach to the chamber? Does it work by osmosis or something?

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

My "vents" which were added after those pics are 1.5" pvc pipe in 6" sections. One goes down into the chamber, the other sticks up. The idea is that warm air rises, collecting at the top of the chamber, and therefore finds escape through the upward chimney. This creates a suction effect, pulling cooler air through the downward chimney. The arrangement looks like this:

I I
    I I
    I I
    -I I------I I-
    I I
    I I
    I I

It seems to work, since there's consistently condensation in the upward vent, while the downward vent stays dry. I drilled a hole in the top of the bottle lid, and inserted about 2 inches of tubing, sealing it in with the silicone. I now run the other end of the tubing into the downward vent. When I mix sugar and water and yeast in the bottle (and some yeast nutrient from the homebrew store) the yeast ferments the sugar, creating alcohol and outgassing CO2. This increases the air pressure in the bottle, forcing the gas through the tube into the chamber. If I didn't have the tube connected, it would eventually explode from the pressure, and that would be a yucky mess to clean up. (I have to confess that I'm not very consistent on keeping the yeast fed with sugar, so CO2 production is inconsistent).

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ack! Gardenweb forums are not very ASCII art friendly. Let's try again.

. . . . . . . I I
    . . . . . . . I I
    . . . . . . . I I
    -I I------I I-
    .I I
    .I I
    .I I

• cincinnata
    16 years ago

I have been using a modified version of Krs's cloning box since he put up the instruction (http://krstofer.org/plants/clone/) with great success. I have just returned from England with loads of cuttings from Myles and they are now all potted up in the 'cloning box'.

• odyssey3
    16 years ago

OK, thanks, I think I am getting it between the two of you. The chimney vents are both on top, and one is mostly below the lid and the other is mostly above the lid. The CO2 tube from the soda bottle goes in the vent that is mostly below the lid, and a small mayo jar isn't necessary.

If I've got it, I'm going to Wal-mart for supplies!

• jblaschke
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's correct, odyssey3. The mayo jar is only there so that you can see bubbles passing through, and know that the yeast is still producing CO2. If you regularly add sugar to the mix (weekly or bi-weekly will work) along with partial water changes, the mayo bubbler isn't necessary.

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

Scientists at work!
    I don't do much more than stick a cutting in dirt when I want to root something! :)
    Sherry

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations