Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
singhin_gw

Questions for the Ruby Glow growers

singhin
18 years ago

Hi All, (sunset z-11; usda 8-gets real hot & windy and on the flip side gets real cold and windy)

I have 2 Ruby Glows - bought 1 as a Giant Granadilla, but thanks to Krstofer's "leaf bumps" pic, have now positively identified that as Ruby Glow - oh well, so be it.

I frequently transport plants that I buy from 1 zone to another (about 50 miles) not including where it was originally grown. I know to kinda baby the newbies until they are used to the new zone. But...have had these for a while now. And...

My Ruby Glows - in 5 gal pots - they have/had big beautiful leaves with several feet of vine when I got them. Now a lot of those leaves are now turning more or less yellow and dropping, however, they both do have new growth coming in as well (no buds yet tho-hear they may be fall bloomers?). They are in quite a bit of my FULL/HOT desert sun a good portion of the day. I try to make it a point to get water to them just about every day, rarely miss a day.

What do you experienced Ruby Glowers think of moving them so they still get a good portion of full hot sun but near the heat of the day get some shade then a little more sun. I'm hoping to see at least 1 of them if not both bloom before it gets really cold. Which also brings to mind their cold hardiness. Krstofer says maybe hardy in the 40's, tag says 25F. What's your experience with them in the cold? Expect to lose the foliage, hoping to keep roots at least. Don't really have room for them inside.

Thanks in advance for your experience and advice.

Debbie

Comments (3)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus