Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora seedling time frame...?

Posted by wirtlo z6 NV (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 23, 05 at 15:14

Hey all,

I have some passiflora coccinea and mollissima (or maybe caerulea, but most likely mollissima). I was wondering what the time frame is on how long it takes to get to be 6" or 12" or however long. My seedlings are about 2 or 3 weeks old and have only put out 1-3 minature leaves. They are in a light box (w/ a very intence compact flourescent and the sides are painted white to reflect some light around). Anyway, passiflora time frame? Thanks! Eric

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora seedling time frame...?

Couple weeks / months or so, depending.

Stop looking at them every day & you'll be suprised at how fast they grow.

o

I have a tray of P. caerulea that I started on 5/21. I soaked the $eed overnight and sprouted them in a divided tray. I think there was about 100% germination (seems like MORE) and the young plants took forever to start putting out typical passi leaves (that is, divided). It was so long that I almost convinced myself that I had started something besides passis. They are now about 18-24" long and twining around each other and anything else in their path! No sign of fl*wer bud$ though. I have moved them into 4" pots and am trying to trade some of them so that I don't have to winter so many of them.
I was wondering if there is a possibility of you having your plant$ outside in the sun? I think that would certainly encourage their growth.
Regards,
spiderwoman

o

I'm currently trying to sprout incarnata, edulis and flavicarpa seed$. I had them outside in direct sun (in shrinkwrap-covered cups to preserve moisture/humidity) which worked... to an extent. I've had three incarnata sprout before the end of the first week--but too late I realized that the intense Texas sun was frying them. I've since moved the whole lot to an area shaded by an adolescent pomegranate bush, so while they're still quite warm, most of the sunlight they're getting is indirect and/or filtered.

I fear the three early sprouters sacrificed themselves due to my ignorance, however. :-( So depending on what zone you're in, be careful with direct sun early on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here