Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gulf frits totally out of hand

Posted by bkay2000 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 28, 09 at 16:34

I have been inundated with butterflies this year. At any given time, you can see multiple GF flying around. Constance Elliott is their favorite. It's almost denuded. The other type, which I think is a maypop has tons of caterpillars on it, but still has lots of greenery.

I'm beginning to get concerned about my CE. There are almost no leaves left. It seems like every stem has a caterpillar on it. When this plant was young, I kept the caterpillars picked off it. After it got big, I quit worrying about it.

Now, I'm worried. I would hate to lose it. I would also hate to have to pick off all those caterpillars.

Any ideas?

barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gulf frits totally out of hand

Hi Barbara,

I'd find a few pieces of vine/stem that haven't been chewed, and take cuttings from them. When the cats run out of leaves, they will eat the green off of the stems, and can kill the mother plant.

Good luck!
Mark

o
RE: Gulf frits totally out of hand

Thanks, Mark

I decided to start picking them off. 20 or 30 a day should help. I also have one across the yard that I can take cutting off of if I have to. It's young, so they just started on it. I think I can control them there as they are pretty visible. Next year, I won't let them get started on my big CE, if it survives.

I don't understand why they like the CE so much. They'll ignore my blue crown and maypop. It must be really tasty and tender.

Thanks again.

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here