Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jcmohn

Fertilizing Passifloras to get Flowers

jcmohn
18 years ago

I've seen some conflicting information and advice about fertilizing Passifloras. Most of what I've read suggests that I should not fertilize them, but I've had the opposite advice, too. What's been you all's experience?

I have 6 different varieties of Passiflora, all in pots on my deck -- incarnata, Lavender Lady, caerulea, vitifolia, Lady Margaret, and Incense. They had all flowered after bringing them home from the nursery (except vitifolia) because I specifically bought plants with buds, but then nothing -- no flowers, just growth. So, I decided to try a fertilizer. I've been using a 6-12-6 foliar feed by Medina once a week. Now, it may simply be coincidence, but within 2 weeks of starting the fertilizer, all of my passifloras took off (with one exception), and have been flowering freely. Additionally, my Incense and Lady Margaret have set fruit after being cross polinated with incarnata and caerulea. The only exception is incarnata, which seems to have stopped growing. The vitifolia buds are also still developing, but these are the first buds I've seen on vitifolia since bringing it home last May.

Is it coincidence, or is the fertilizer encouraging these plants to flower and set fruit? Personally, I think it's the fertilizer.

-Jon

Comments (3)

Sponsored