Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Caterpillars - Yikes!

Posted by granburyflowergirl 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 22, 10 at 17:53

This is my first year with passionflowers and until last week I was fine with the idea that I would be sharing the leaves with caterpillars. Almost overnight the darn things wiped out every single leaf on my 10' vine! Will they kill the plant completely if I don't do anything? I hate to harm future butterflies but I don't want my vine to die - Help! What should I do?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Caterpillars - Yikes!

The cats normally won't harm an established vine even if they defoliate it but a new vine........??? How come everyone but me gets Gulf Fritts? I have loads of passies and many that they prefer as a host plant : (

o

I think spraying the vine with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis, a bacterium) will kill the caterpillars. It should be available in nurseries, although you may want to call first--not all carry it.

However it sounds like you don't want to kill them. So you could always pick them off by hand and send them to Karyn...

o

I'd be thrilled but doubt they'd survive the trip. You might want to post on the butterfly forum and see if anyone has extra passion vines or maybe there's someone that lives near you that wants them.

o

Karyn,

Perhaps they would travel best as eggs? I don't have enough of a population, or I'd offer some.

o

• Posted by egnilk66 Southern California (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 23, 10 at 12:12

Feed 'em to your chickens!

o

Well, I don't know why my message never went through but I was going to offer to send you all of the little buggers Karyn, but I too doubt they'd survive the trip ;-). If I could figure out how to identify the eggs, I'd be happy to try sending them...there isn't much left to lay eggs on though!

I do see the same orange butterflies around my zinnias, maybe I should relocate the cats to the zinnias?

I really don't mind leaving them alone if I know the plant can recover once they are done.

I don't know how new this vine is, it was 4' tall when I bought it in March or April and quickly grew to 10 feet but now it looks really pathetic and the cats are still all over it just waiting for a new leaf to try budding!

I don't want to kill the cats, I just want my Passionflower to survive. Has anyone tried fish emulsion spray to deter them? There are a lot of folks on the Citrus forum swearing by FE to keep bugs off their citrus

o

• Posted by egnilk66 9 - Southern Califor (My Page) on
    Fri, Sep 3, 10 at 10:36

Maybe relocate the caterpillars to a less valuable plant...

o

• Posted by tdr4 MS Zone 9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Sep 22, 10 at 21:18

I did not get any caterpillars this year. I am very disappointed. I only plant passionflowers for the cats!

o

Let the cats eat and your vine should be fine. The life of the vine doesn't come from the vine, it comes from the root. Relax and enjoy the show they are putting on for you!!

The passion flower is the only food the zebra longwing and Gulf Fritillary eat, so I wouldn't suggest moving them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here