Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
another cutting question

Posted by beth7happy 9 CtrlFl (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 17, 09 at 18:28

Finally have blooms on the passi incense! It took 'transporting' LOTS of caterpillars to a wild passi on a nearby fence, but we have blooms! Usually the plants are stripped of EVERY green thing and die. Now, the plant is suckering - many feet from the original plant. Today I pulled up three long pieces - I don't think there is much 'root' there, but there was alot buried under the soil. These pieces are 2 to 3 feet long, have tendril that are grabbing everything closeby. Should I leave the whole piece while rooting or chop it into several pieces? And, any idea about how long before it will throw roots?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another cutting question

Hello there,

I had a similarly sized P. 'Incense' sucker, (with no real roots, only about 2 inches of whitish underground stem growth, but NOT rhizomatus material), which we usually throw away, but for some reason decided to see what would happen if we stuck it in a pot and watered it. We yanked it forcefully from the ground, stuck it in a planter with some soil and perlite, and pretty much ignored it. Well, that was about a month ago, and it is now growing quite well. Anyone want it?

I have yet to attempt normal cuttings of this vine, as there has never really been a reason to other than to experiment. As soon as I run out of things that I need to propagate for other reasons, I'll probably try it. The worst thing that happens is nothing.

Good luck!
Eric

o
RE: another cutting question

Thanks, Eric, for the response. I have the cuttings in water right now, but since there are three, I think that I may put at least one into some soil in a pot. I like your take on 'the worst thing that happens is nothing'!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here