Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trying to grow a Passiflora

Posted by thedogsLL 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 14, 13 at 20:19

I am in MA, a bit north of Boston, and I want a fragrant flowering vine on an arbor next to my patio. I spent last winter looking, and went from a climbing rose (too much work with the time I have available for the garden) through tons of others, and arrived at passionflower. I read all kinds of stuff about how well it grows, but figure the winters here will help to keep it under control. So, I planted two. Facing this arbor, the one on the left actually gets more sun, and should have been fine, but it did not survive. The one on the right faded, but is now coming back. I have one tendril about 2' long with what seems like skimpy leaves, but over the last week it seems to be adding several inches a day. The tendrils are grabbing any and everything they come close to, and I keep unwinding them and putting them back on the arbor. It should soon get high enough that the arbor is all it has to climb on, if it keeps going the way it is now.

Since we don't freeze for a couple of months, it has time to grow, but I'd like to ask if anyone knows any tricks to help it along? Is there some particular nutrient I can bump up to make the roots stronger so it survives the winter and comes back ready to thrive next spring?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trying to grow a Passiflora

Passiflora is 'iffy' in zone 6. If you put a 8" deep layer of mulch around the roots, it will probably survive and re-grow in May or June.

o

I can do that. I always put down at least 6" anyhow - I have some mini roses not too far away, plus some hostas and other perennials. And I use plenty of compost and organic fertilizer (actually worm poo) from spring to fall. I just thought that maybe there was some nutrient that would/could make it stronger. Oh, well...

So, it sounds like if I treat it like any other tender plant, I at least have a good chance to keep it. Thank you! If it works, I'll add another one next spring, to the other side of the arbor.

But it does make the point that you can't believe Michigan Bulb, huh?

o

I live in northeastern Pennsylvania and have no problems growing passiflora caerulea. One planting is near my home's foundation(which probably bumps it up a zone) in dry, poor soil. Spreads ever year and blooms prolifically from June until frost without any amendments to the soil nor winter protection.
Also have it growing in a compost rich bed that I keep mulched with about 2" of bark chips. Does not bloom nor spread as well as the foundation planting, but does return every year.

o

Thanks, Valerie, that's interesting. I have some other plants that keep coming back no matter how "bad" the place they are in seem. What kind of sun does the foundation have?

o

Sunny from noon to 5 p.m.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here