Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mph101

myth spider mites can't take wet

MPH101
15 years ago

I haven't had a problem in the past in the wet, very humid summers of Florida with spider mites on my passiflora but boy am I now. Incredible. The dewpoint doesn't drop below 70 F, and over 14" of rain for the month of July with steamy moist conditions but the spider mites are in full swing. Of course the means to take them out is nearly pointless and they always favor the underside of the vines protecting them from most rainfall. They are knocking out a 25' plant on the fence, and have covered several others including my new blue eyed susan. They don't seem to like P. nephrodes or so far white wedding but wow.

And I thought spider mites were a dry climate problems such as we have in the spring months with lower humidity and lack of rain. This isn't true.

Hosing the underside of the leaves, also spraying with Marathon and Bifin. Marathon isn't any good at all. Bifin works better and I will try conserve SC which is a decent systemic.

This pest makes the 5 million caterpillars I usually deal with look like childs play.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012