Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stabby_loryn

Overwintering 3 Different Passionflowers... HOW?

stabby_loryn
16 years ago

I have 3 different passionflowers growing in containers and up onto some fencing I attached to the home. I have a P. Caerulea, a P. Lady Margaret, and a P. Incense. The P. Caerulea is probably about 25 ft long grown through and wrapped around an obelisk then onto the fence, the other two are about 10 ft long each, but lots of arms. I grow Brugmansias as well, and will be overwintering them in a dark 40-50 degree basement. How do I prepare my passionvines for the winter? Can I cut em back and put them beside my brug pots? I really don't want to lose them.

Any help is MUCH appreciated!

Also... I used to deadhead all of them, but due to their size, I stopped. Is it ok to let them flower then fruit?

Thank You!

--Stabby

Comments (7)

• chills71
    16 years ago

I overwinter Lavender Lady, Vitifolia, Incense, as well as a couple others (I forgot the name of the one I just had Id'd already and there are a couple of unknowns)

I have them growing in 5 gal pots with bamboo stakes or hoops. I just cut them back enough that they are no longer entangled and then place them into a south facing window. Some of them continue blooming. Spidermites and white-flies can be a problem (I use a systemic on the worst one).

I wouldn't put them into the dark beside your brugs (though I do it to my figs).

~Chills

• karyn1
    16 years ago

I overwinter about 25 passies inside under HID lights. I cut them back enough to get them in the house. I don't allow them to go dormant with the brugs and plumies. They are kept warm and well lit though I cut back on water and don't feed at all while they are inside. Most of them continue to bloom sporatically throughout the winter. I cut them back again before they go out in the late spring.
    Karyn

• chills71
    16 years ago

Karyn...25 different passies?

And I'm proud that I have 7 different ones.

~Chills

• karyn1
    16 years ago

There are many here that have a lot more then me : )
    Karyn

• chrismac_flutter
    16 years ago

Karyn,
    I don't overwinter here but just wondering...do you ever get any fruit that you would be willing to share? Over 25 kinds. WoW!! I am working towards that.

Flutter

• jblaschke
    16 years ago

Deadheading doesn't give any benefits to passis, since they flower on new growth. So your giving up on the practice was a smart move.

You can overwinter your passis in the basement, but they're going to need light. They market 150 watt equivalent florescent bulbs now that put off a great deal of light, and also "natural spectrum" florescent lights. With plants as large as yours are, you can probably cut them back by two thirds, water sparingly and keep well-lit and they'll make it. Probably won't be happy, but they'll make it. Just remember to acclimate them to sunlight, since any new growth over the winter will burn easily. A 40 degree basement won't be a problem for these species--I had similar conditions in my garage this past winter, although I had the distinct advantage of moving the plants outside on sunny days.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Last year I only got fruit with viable seed from a few varieties, alata, vitifolia and amethystina. All the others either don't produce anything for me or the fruit are just empty sacks : ( If I get any this year I'll let you know. The germination with the amethystina and vitifolia was great, not so much with the alata seeds. At least most are easy to propagate from cuttings.
    Karyn