Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Longshot ID

Posted by fairfield8619 8 N La. (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 12 at 23:20

I ordered this and just got around to planting it due to moving house. I ordered two but can't remember what this one is. It's very robust with big leaves and took off right away. Planted it in a trash shrub and letting it do its thing. Strange thing is that it doesn't have lobed leaves but it does seem like a passiflora- tendrils look right to me. I don't know if it is even hardy. Anyone recognize it? Maybe it will bloom before winter and maybe it will SURVIVE winter. It has grown 2ft in a week.
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Longshot ID

There are plenty of passifloras that don't have lobed foliage such as P. alata, triloba and many others. It's in all likelyhood not a cold hardy variety. You might want to post this pic on the Facebook passiflora group (Passiflora - Passion Flowers Online - you have to join). It's busy and has several knowledgeable members.

o

My guess would be P. alata or P. quadrangularis, based on the leaf shape and the shape of the stem, which looks like it has the right square cross-section. I'm also guessing probably *not* winter-hardy for northern Louisiana, although I've read of some folks who have had P. alata overwinter in similar climate if it was well-mulched and exposure wasn't harsh.

Here is a link that might be useful: My blog - adventures in silkworms, chickens, gardening, passionflowers, etc.

o

I didn't notice the squared stem at the right but it might very well be a P. quadrangularis. If so, it's not going to survive a zone 8 winter, but is a very beautiful passie and worth lifting and taking inside for the winter.

o

I would suggest that this is definitely of the Laurifolia - Quadrangulares section, as others have stated, and it would not even be hardy in my zone. However, if you can bring it indoors in the winter....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here