Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
byronlite

P. feolota?

byronlite
19 years ago

This Spring I bought a plant from a Nursery (Hirt's Greenhouse, Strongsville, OH) labelled Passiflora feolota. I've been unable to find any information (books, google search, etc.) on a feolota. Someone mentioned that it could be a mispelling of foetida. Any ideas?

byron

Comments (5)

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Never heard of it. I'd 2nd the guess that it is foetida. Has it flowered yet? If so, did it have "lacy type hair" around the bracts? If so, that is foetida.

• reinbeaux
    19 years ago

Contact the nursery, ask who supplied it to them, and contact them - that is the 'for sure' method of knowing for sure which it is (if you can track the grower down)

• GardenerDc
    19 years ago

feo-what?
    never heard of it

• byronlite
    Original Author
    19 years ago

What I think happened was the greenhouse where I bought the plant at changed the species name from foetida to feolota because who would want to buy a "foetid" passionflower... Especially in Northern Ohio where passionflowers are rare,and knowledge of them is minimal to non-existant though sometimes you can find the common commercial passionflower, P. cearula for sale... Thanks for your help... I have never seen P. feotida before but the "feolota" sure fits the description of foetida.

I once saw the Maypop growing in someone's yard near here, which is rare in zone 5 (Though now I have them growing against a South facing wall) and asked the owner about them. He called it New Zealand Vine because he said a neighbor had visited New Zealand and brought the plant back with her!

• wilmington_islander
    19 years ago

Can you find out anything more on the neighbors plant? It could be one of the reputed very cold hardy tacsonia selctions. I would love tosee either the flower foliage or fruit.

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996