Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
P. feolota?

Posted by byronlite z5 OH (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 24, 04 at 0:40

This Spring I bought a plant from a Nursery (Hirt's Greenhouse, Strongsville, OH) labelled Passiflora feolota. I've been unable to find any information (books, google search, etc.) on a feolota. Someone mentioned that it could be a mispelling of foetida. Any ideas?

byron

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: P. feolota?

Never heard of it. I'd 2nd the guess that it is foetida. Has it flowered yet? If so, did it have "lacy type hair" around the bracts? If so, that is foetida.

o

Contact the nursery, ask who supplied it to them, and contact them - that is the 'for sure' method of knowing for sure which it is (if you can track the grower down)

o

feo-what?
never heard of it

o

What I think happened was the greenhouse where I bought the plant at changed the species name from foetida to feolota because who would want to buy a "foetid" passionflower... Especially in Northern Ohio where passionflowers are rare,and knowledge of them is minimal to non-existant though sometimes you can find the common commercial passionflower, P. cearula for sale... Thanks for your help... I have never seen P. feotida before but the "feolota" sure fits the description of foetida.

I once saw the Maypop growing in someone's yard near here, which is rare in zone 5 (Though now I have them growing against a South facing wall) and asked the owner about them. He called it New Zealand Vine because he said a neighbor had visited New Zealand and brought the plant back with her!

o

Can you find out anything more on the neighbors plant? It could be one of the reputed very cold hardy tacsonia selctions. I would love tosee either the flower foliage or fruit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here