Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Frederick - a rebloomer?

Posted by labrahamian z9/ sz21 CA (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 17, 09 at 1:49

Hello all,

We planted a 2 gallon P. Frederick early spring and it took off and flowered well (though no fruit development). However, even though the vine continues to grow well and looks healthy; it has completely stopped flowering. Is this normal for this cultivar? We used to have a P. Carrerula (sp?) that grew and flowered from April through November.

Thanks for any replies,
Lawrence
Montrose, CA Z9b/SZ 21

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Frederick - a rebloomer?

Lawrence,

I believe you get two crops from Frederick, although I could be wrong. Here's what I *think* I remember--the second round of blooms is in October or so and the fruit matures in the winter. If I recall correctly the second crop is often not as sweet. I bought a rooted cutting of Frederick last year and it did get a flower in October (it was still a very small plant). Mine was set back significantly over the winter (frost, snails) and hasn't bloomed yet this year; I'll check it for buds.

On the other hand my P. edulis 'Nancy Garrison' does seem to have two seasons. It bloomed in early summer and the fruit is maturing now. It's starting a second round of blooming. This is P. edulis f. edulis (purple passsionflower). P. edulis Frederick is some mix of purple and yellow passionflower (P. edulis flavicarpa).

Perhaps someone who has regularly bloomed and fruited a mature 'Frederick' can confirm whether or not this is true. I do think you might get two seasons. Have you checked for buds?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here