Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Have a ? about passionflower seed pod

Posted by Micki_knoxville z7Tn (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 14, 05 at 8:33

Someone gave me a small green round seed pod from her plant this week. Do I need to do anything special? I have it in the cardboard container with some butterfly bush seeds drying. it does have a yellow stipe on one side but its not brown at all.

thanks
Micki

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Have a ? about passionflower seed pod

on my P.Incarnata I can open a green fruit and the seeds are ready,... but I don't know about other types.
most people let it turn and then take out the seeds clean them and dry them and then store them
the seed should be dark in color brown or black most of the time.
I take the fruit when it is at just the right size to eat fresh off the vine and keep the seed for planting and trade.
I clean them and dry them on a plate then put them in a baggie and in to my seed box in the fridge.
I hope this helps have a good day.
Robbie

o

For best results, Passionfruits should fall off the vine on their own. Open the fruit and eat the pulp, spitting out the seeds. Wash and then dry the seeds briefly and plant ASAP. Paul.

o

Open it & plant the seeds.

You have to get the goo off- easiest way to do that is put them all in a wire strainer & run water over them while rubbing them against the screen. Once the water runs clean place the seeds on a paper towell or somesuch & let dry- Then you can easily remove the rest of it by rubbing the seeds together.

Then you can save or plant them- Hopefully you'll have a couple hundred, but I've opened egg sized fruit to olny find one seed. It's a caerulea X lady margaret hybrid I tried.. Hopefully it grows.

Your seeds should be dark brown to black- If your in doubt, soak them in a cup of water overnite. Any that float in the morning are dead- all the sinkers should be Ok.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here