Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ninecrow_uk

NOT a Happy Bunny.....

ninecrow
15 years ago

I've come back from Hol's and I've lost most of my Passiflora's, even with Mum looking after them *Cry* I've lost my Edulis, my Foetida (Which had the dried up remains of Flower and FRUIT on it), my Subrosa and others.... *Sigh*

Will Start again Though... *Sigh* Not sure which one yet though, would like then to have Edible Fruit as they'd be inside and I want them to work for the space....

Any thoughts

Thanks

NC

Comments (3)

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Recommendations on what to grow inside? Unfortunately I can't speak from experience, and I'm just starting to grow things outside (my first ripe edulis fruit dropped off today). But aren't edulis (for fruit) and caerulea (for pollinating many other species) a good start? Both are readily available and hopefully someone in the UK could send you cuttings? (is it easy and cheap to send things from the rest of Europe?) I remember claims that one edulis cultivar is smaller--is it 'Black Night'? I take it you are just a little too cold for Tacsonias and I seem to remember that these don't grow well inside.

I do know of a list for recommended outdoor growing passion fruits in our area--Santa Clara county--a part of the San Francisco Bay area that is neither too cold and foggy nor too hot. The list is from our local fruit guru Nancy Garrison:

"PASSIONFRUIT (I do not know of commercial sources for the first four, but wanted to list them as Patrick Worley, passionfruit hybridizer extrordinaire, recommended them for this area).
    Passiflora âÂÂCoral Glowâ or âÂÂCoral Seasâ for cooler coastal summers, P. âÂÂElizabethâÂÂ, P. âÂÂPurpleTigerâ when cross pollinated by P. caerulea, P. ligularis - likes cool weather, not self fruitful, not in container, Passiflora edulis: â FredericksâÂÂ, Black KnightâÂÂ, âÂÂFrostyâÂÂ, and 'Nancy Garrison'"

http://www.mastergardeners.org/picks/fruit.html

The first two are Tacsonias. I've never seen 'Elizabeth'(P. phoenicea x p. incarnata)in person, but I've read that it is spectacular and seen pictures--would that be worth a try? How about P. vitifolia? I take it P. caerulea could pollinate both 'Elizabeth'and vitifolia. Perhaps someone out there has experience blooming and fruiting these plants inside?

Sorry to hear about your plants--that must have been an unpleasant surprise. Good luck with this and hopefully people in your part of the world can help you out.

• karyn1
    15 years ago

Mark you are in the perfect area for growing just about everything. I'd love to have SF Bay conditions.
    Karyn

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Karyn,

We are pretty spoiled up here. Actually, though, I just moved up here from Southern California (Pasadena), where I was even more spoiled. That extra 5 or 10 degrees in the winter can make a huge difference. Other than hardcore tropicals, down there most anything will grow if you give it the right amount of water (check out the Huntington Gardens). I have to admit though, when I moved (back) here I was disappointed that a number of things won't make it. For example, we can't grow a lot of citrus well (it's either too cold in the winter or not hot enough in the summer), Avocados are marginal at best. But yes, we are pretty fortunate compared to most areas.

Sponsored