Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patches_gw

How to harvest seeds from a passion flower

Patches
15 years ago

A friend of mine grows the passion vine each year and up to now has not been able to get any seeds from the vines. She says an examination of the flower head doesn't show any seeds at all. Since I don't grow the vine myself I wonder if you could tell me how she goes about getting seeds from the flowers? The vines are fairly expensive to buy up here in Toronto. Thanks in advance.

Comments (8)

• chrismac_flutter
    15 years ago

Depends on the type of Passi she has. Some passis will self fertilize but many need another plant to fertilize it. Many times they need 2 of the same plant to fertilize. (Hence why I own 2 of many of my plants and plant them next to one another).

• karyn1
    15 years ago

A fertilized flower will form a fruit which will become quite noticeable as it grows. I wait until the fruit drops on it's own or releases at the slightest touch. Like the previous post stated many passies need cross pollination and some varieties are sterile and will never produce a fruit.
    Karyn

• Patches
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to both of you for the replies. I'm not sure what kind it is but looks like this image and my apologies - I thought I knew how to insert the hyperlink but it escapes me at the moment ... but here's the url: http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn242/patchesor/

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Probably the easiest thing to do would be to try to take cuttings--either she could root them or send them directly to you to try to root. No doubt customs wouldn't be too happy about the cuttings passing through (so unless it bothers you just don't let them know--I'm sure the worst they will do is confiscate them). Seed may or may not be strictly legal either, although I suspect for either cuttings or seed going into the U.S. is more difficult than going into Canada.

Some cuttings root readily; some don't. Many of the more commonly available ones are not much of a problem. If you or your friend has a photo, post it here and no doubt someone can offer you some advice.

A couple links:

How to send cuttings--step-by-step instructions from Ian Webb's site:

http://www.passiflora.info/postdetails.htm

You should actually be able to send these--if you pack them well--in a padded envelope.

You should be able to find various techniques for making cuttings. Myles Irvine's site should point you in the right direction:

http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passiflora-passion-flower-cuttings.htm

Cuttings will be a lot quicker than seeds if they work (and if you can get them into Canada). If you have a picture to post, though it would also help a lot in terms of figuring out what your friend's plant might need in the way of a pollinator to produce fruits and seed.

A lot of readily available plants are hybrids, though, and some of these are infertile--making cuttings a necessity. If you manage to produce fruit with the rest, their progeny stand a strong chance of not being as attractive as the parent, although you never know--you could get something new and interesting.

If you don't have a picture, check out a couple of these retailer's websites and see if they have a picture that looks like what you might have:

http://www.kartuz.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=KG&Category_Code=5PAS
    http://gkexoticplants.com/catalog/Passiflora-2-1.html

If you find the plant in question is P. incarnata, which is fairly common, I believe that's a special case. Let us know, and I'm sure there are many people (but not me) who can help you on getting fruit or propagating that one.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Sorry,

I just noticed you posted your picture while I was writing. Others will know better than I, but I assume it's P. incarnata or one of its hybrids.

I'll let others answer the question in detail, except I'll quote something that Myles ("Passionflow") said on a previous thread and that I just ran across.:

" * Posted by passionflow 8b (My Page) on
    Wed, May 7, 08 at 13:57

The key with P. incarnata - other than digging up a sucker which as jblaschke suggests is the easiest way to do it - is to stick the cuttings in for about a month or so until they form calluses, then scarify the calluses and put them back in - applying rooting hormone may help too. The main thing is patience. It took about 8 months for me to root P. elegans and the very similar P. actinia I have also found tricky."

He gives a link: http://www.passionflow.co.uk/passiflora-incarnata.htm

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Just to clarify the above--when Myles suggests scarifying a callus--presumably that means giving it a light cut/scratch or two with a razorblade?

• Patches
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mark, Karyn and Chris, thanks a million for your answers - all of which are invaluable. I'll talk to my friend and see if I can get some cuttings for her. She puts in quite a few plants and that gets pricey. I notice in some areas that the plants actually do 'come back' the next year but not sure if that would apply to her backyard in Toronto! I'm going to ask her not to rip it out this year and we'll see what we get! Cheers and thanks again!

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Hi patches,

I don't know why I assumed that your friend was in the U.S. and that you were hoping that she could send you seeds...Anyway, it sounds like either P. incarnata or its hybrid 'Incense' (and I'm sure there are others I couldn't necessarily distinguish from that picture alone) are borderline in terms of surviving the winter in zone 6 (hopefully I'm reading that one correctly...). I think these are about the hardiest Passifloras out there. So yeah, try taking cuttings and hopefully some other people here who live in cold climates can give you advice on keeping it alive. It sounds like it's a pretty tough plant once it gets established.

If it's sending up suckers (not the original vine), maybe the easiest thing to do would be to pull one of those up, pot it up and take it inside for the winter.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County