Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Trouble with my passiflora, can you help?

Hi,

I bought a passiflora from Logees over the winter. I kept it going indoors until the warm weather and have had it outside in a large container with other plants all summer. It has not been looking good and I have no idea what is wrong with it. The leaves have a yellow underbase color. Not actually the whole leave being yellow, but a yellow tinge to it is as best I can describe it. It grew but it didn't bloom, and now I am getting ready to take it in the house and not sure what to do with it. Any ideas?

Comments (3)

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

How much light did it get outside & did it ever get any fertilizer?

For inside living over the winter I'm kinda partial to the 22 watt circline lights- warm or cool white, doesn't really matter. (we're not growin' dope in the closet here..)
    I put a stick in the middle of the pot & hang the bulb from it- that way as the plant grows I can raise the bulb.

A cheap light timer is usually $5.

For a couple years I had 7 decalobas in 1 pot in a not-very-bright window. Everyone's happy & growing well. Once a month I give 'em standard strength miracle grow- either grow, bloom or rose, whichever's cheapest at the store. There's a bulb hangin' above them but I only turn it on in the winter.

If you want you can make a little reflector for above that bulb as 1/2 the light goes up & is thus useless.. I just used cardboard with foil spray glued on, shiny-side out. 'Course foil is aluminum which conducts electricity rather well so standard "don't be a dumbass" warnings apply, s'pecially around something you're going to be pouring water nearby.

• prairiemoon2 z6b MA
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi krstofer,

Sorry it took so long to respond, but we have had a crazy week or so. Outside it was sitting in about 5 hrs of sun. No it never got fertilized all season. I have a West window that I can grow it in during the winter, would that be enough? How do you know if it is not getting enough light? Yes, I have to do better with the fertilizing.

Thanks
    :-)

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

When they don't get enough light they start to "stretch".. Lotsa vine, not so many leaves.. Sometimes I'll get one of those 20 watt circline bulbs & hang it above the plant on a timer. Works great. Until it climbs all over & thru the bulb causing a nitemare of de-tangling come spring & time to take it back outside..

Just mix up some weak fertilizer-water & use that- then there's no "when did I do this last?" conundrums.

I have 7 or 8 decalobas in 1 pot- They were unhappy & not doing anything untill I started the fertilizer water 2 weeks ago.. Have put on about a foot since then.
    The 2 I have out on the deck are turning yello & have stopped growing- because of the cold I think. Every time I see them I say "better bring them in" but I need to ferret-proof them (the kids LOVE to "help") & find a spot near a window.. Just haven't had time.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County