Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eloise_ca

Mark4321!

eloise_ca
9 years ago

p. Preciosa is coming along and is now two feet long! Some edges are a bit yellow so I fed it yesterday. I haven't decided where I'm going to place it, but plan on leaving it in a pot in case it's aggressive like Incense. Hope to see blooms next year if it continues growing well. Thank you so very much Randy for introducing me to this passiflora and for this start :-)

Comments (9)

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

Hi Eloise,

Great to see that it's doing well!

My impression is that it doesn't spread by suckers (although if anyone knows otherwise I'd like to hear). However, it might be worth growing in a pot to keep it from getting too big. I do have mine in a pot (5-7 galllons?) and it's gotten very big, in spite of regular pruning.

My 'Preciosa' is full of buds--I counted 18 today. This will be the first bloom. I got it May of 2013 in a 4 inch pot from Grassy Knoll. I'm surprised it's doing so well in my climate--the prolonged cold last December didn't seem to phase it (I didn't get actual frost) and our summer temps have been about 75/55.

The hybrid is P. macrocarpa x P. alata (Henk Wouters). P. macrocarpa (aka 'Blue Moon') is sometimes considered a form of P. quadrangularis, but it is not as intolerant of cool temperatures.

There are 4 buds below, but the one on the right may be the most visible.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good to know that it might not sucker all over the place. I have it in a 5-gallon pot so it can stay there for years. It's been out in straight sun for the past couple of days and seems to be doing fine with high temps. I might just put it close to the pool (pool not in-service) and let it grow over the fencing. Please post when the buds on your plant open. Bet it will be a beautiful sight!

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

Below is the first flower, opened yesterday. Flower #2 should be open today, but I haven't been outside yet. I've never grown any of this sort of Passiflora before (supersection Laurifolia), and I'm really impressed. It also has a nice fragrance.

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Beautiful! The bloom appears to be a nice size in comparison to the leaves. I am really excited about what my passiflora will grow up to be :-) Thanks for posting the picture.

• morningloree
    9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the picture. I have 'Preciosa' as well, but it's a younger plant about 6 months old. I hope mine will flower as nicely.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

I think my plant is close to being done blooming now. I have at least 4 fruits:

1 with applied P. 'Mission Dolores' pollen
    2 with applied P. loefgrenii x cerulea pollen
    1 with applied P. loefgrenii pollen

I suspect/hope there will be more with P. loefgrenii pollen. I just attempted a couple more today

I suspect the 'Mission Dolores' pollen caused the flower to self, although a hybrid would be very exciting.

None of the flowers I did not apply pollen to (about half) formed fruit. Many of those to which pollen was applied failed to form fruit.

Here is the fruit formed by the first flower, P 'Mission Dolores' pollen applied:

• eloise_ca
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That fruit is huge -- wishing for you a beautiful, new passion vine! Is it the usual insects that pollinate Preciosa? I'm just curious since you said none of the flowers that weren't pollinated formed fruit.

• PassionBob
    9 years ago

Mark, the fruit may get a little larger yet. Just hope it gets its taste from P. alata, I've heard P. macrocarpa fruit are bland.

Eloise, don't worry about the roots of P. 'Preciosa' being a problem, none of the P. quadrangularis/P. alata group and their hybrids spread by root runners. So far the ones that I have found to do that have been P. incarnata, P. ceruelea, and their clones/hybrids. Go ahead and put P. 'Preciosa' in the ground.

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Mark
    Your picture looks like a ruby glow passiflora. When mine got older it started giving fruit.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!