Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auntdiggie

P. phoenicea pollination

auntdiggie
15 years ago

I have a ruby glow intertwined with a fredrick and vitifolio. I have fruit from the frederick and the vitifolio (hand pollenated)but cannot get the ruby glow to set fruit. i have tried dawn, dust and each hour inbetween with no luck. what passi do i need to get my ruby to set fruit?

Comments (7)

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

This is an indirect answer, but how about P. caerulea?

The Master Gardeners of Santa Clara county published a list of the appropriate varieties for our area. Here's their list for passionfruit, as related by Nancy Garrison:

"PASSIONFRUIT (I do not know of commercial sources for the first four, but wanted to list them as Patrick Worley, passionfruit hybridizer extrordinaire, recommended them for this area).
    Passiflora ÂCoral Glow or ÂCoral Seas for cooler coastal summers, P. ÂElizabethÂ, P. ÂPurpleTiger when cross pollinated by P. caerulea, P. ligularis - likes cool weather, not self fruitful, not in container, Passiflora edulis:  FredericksÂ, Black KnightÂ, ÂFrostyÂ, and 'Nancy Garrison'"

It's slightly ambiguous, but I believe the P. caerulea pollination refers to both 'Elizabeth' and 'Purple Tiger'. Even if it solely applies to 'Purple Tiger' the conclusion is the same.

P. 'Elizabeth = P. phoenicia x P. incarnata

P. 'Purple tiger" = P. phoenicia x P. quadrangularis

So if P.caerulea can pollinate P.phonecia primary hybrid(s), it makes sense that it could pollinate P. phoenicia itself. At least that's my guess.

• auntdiggie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

hi mark, i was wondering about P. caerulea as a possibility, but then i ran across the chart at passionflow.uk that says it wont http://www.passionflow.co.uk/tenpassiflora1.htm
    i will keep plugging away.... I am going to try bud pollenate it

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

It seems like you can find everything on Myles' site if you look hard enough! So caerulea can pollinate quadrangularis (your link to Myles' site) or incarnata (I seem to remember that was one of the earliest man-made hybrids) or phoenicia in combination with those two--but it can't pollinate phoenicia alone. I think passiflora hybridization is one of those things where the more I know the less I know.

Well, clearly quadrangularis and incarnata must have worked to some degree to make 'Elizabeth' and 'Purple Tiger'. Of course this might have been a very rare event--which would not exactly be useful for you. Last I heard, Patrick Worley, the creator of both of those crosses, was at Suncrest Nursery in California--he was introduced as such at a talk I went to in April (not on Passiflora, but Peru). Here's an email address for Suncrest:

postmaster@suncrestnurseries.com

I have no idea whether they will forward your email to Patrick Worley or whether he's good at responding. Of course I'm sure he knows the best plant for making fruit (even if it's not one of those two).

On the other hand both incarnata and quadrangularis are common enough plants. Maybe someone out there knows how to store and send pollen, and you could just try yourself.

In case you don't get a useful response it looks like you can also send an email to Myles from this site--I don't know how often he reads these posts.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

If you still can't find out (and nobody responds on this thread) I would think that Elizabeth Peters at Grassy Knoll can help you--and no doubt sell you a good pollinator (she sells >100 plants).

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knoll contact page

• auntdiggie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you mark, i will try both !

• copain97
    12 years ago

Passiflora alata (p. phoenicea) like most plants from this genus are allogamic. So to pollinate you will need the fusion of female and male gametes derived from genetically dissimilar individuals of the same species.
    Once you have the two genetically different individual you will need to understand the biology of the flower to be able to hand pollinate. Bees have too small of a torax to be an effective pollinator.

It's worth the effort fruit are delicious and the only commercially cultivated sweet Passion fruit (Maracuja doce)

If you need further information you can contract me at:
    rainbowhnursery@aol.com

Hope this helps,

Patrice

• User
    12 years ago

p.caerulea works

Sponsored