Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yeshwant91

Zone 7a hardy, fragrant, fruit producing to intertwine with roses

yeshwant91
18 years ago

I am looking for a passionflower for my townhouse garden in Brooklyn that I can use like a clematis to intertwine with my roses and also grow up a white property wall. It needs to be fragrant and produce edible fruit. I am new to growing Passionflowers, but cannot forget the beauty, the myths and the fragrance of the flowers from my native India. I also can recall the wonderful flavor of the juice that a friend's mother made from the fruit.

Comments (4)

• kiwinut
    18 years ago

Your best bet is P. 'Incense', which should be hardy and fragrant. However, it will need a pollinator to set fruit, and even then will likely be very shy bearing, even with hand-pollination. P. incarnata would be your best (only?) choice for a pollinator. Two different incarnatas would give you lots of fruit (on the incarnatas). The fragrance may be a bit of a gamble, as incarnata can smell good or bad (and some fruits are much better/worse than others). Probably nothing else exists that would be reliably hardy in your zone, that meets your criteria.

~kiwinut

• Krstofer
    18 years ago

ya I don't know.. It gets arctic there, from what I know of living Up-state & watching ... That show with "lenny" and "brisco" and those guys- the cop one? yeah.

Maybe a hardy kiwi for the fruit, and caerulia or something for the flowers. But yeah I don't think you're going to have much luck with the "arctic edible passionflower" search.

• singhin
    18 years ago

Could try Blue Crown-pretty darn hardy and I've used it to pollinate Incense with a couple of successes. Although you're right Kiwinut for as many as I've tried to pollinate, I've had more fail than succeed. Not sure if maybe it's a time of day thing or what.

I had 3 Blue Crowns survive last year's horrific winter in the Hi Desert of So Calif (zone 8 - sunset 11) 1 of them was on the front porch, did not lose it's leaves. The other 2 were in pots out in all of the rain, 3x normal amount, some snow, 15-25F weather for about a week.

Only problem with Blue Crown is the fruit may not be particularly tasty, but you can use it to pollinate, it's hardy and is fragrant, at least mine are.

• yeshwant91
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! We're not that cold here in the city. About teens-20s in the winters max. :-) Upstate NY is a different thing. I suppose, I will go with the P. incense, and look for fruit elsewhere. I am more into the fragrant colorful flowers. And I might take the suggestion to plant incarnata or blue crown (is that the same as caerulea?) as pollinators. I do nothave much space for a Kiwi (no arbor).

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals