Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

I wonder what the cross was

karyn1
16 years ago

One of my P amethystina seed parent passies has bloomed. I have no idea what passie pollinated it. The foliage, colors and size of the bloom are similar to the amethystina but not the shape. It's a pretty flower.

Karyn

{{gwi:249745}}

Comments (7)

• chena
    16 years ago

Karen that is Beautiful.. Have you found any other blooms on it...
    Chena

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

That's the first but I expect more will be opening soon. I found a bloom on another of the plants I grew from the amethystina cross. I made another post.
    Karyn

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

It's gorgeous!
    Sherry

• abdielg
    16 years ago

Karyn,

I think that these hybrids are actually pure amethystina.
    I know of two people that have Passiflora amethystina 'Minas Gerais' (which I think is what yours looks like) and they have both told me that theirs is self-fertile, and one of them grows no other passion vines.

The differences in these new hybrids can probably be explained though genetic variation, since these are a result of different combinations of traits from its grandparents, so you can expect some differences.

-Abdiel G.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

I agree with Abdiel. I used to have amethystina 'minas gerais' and the flowers looked just like that.
    ~Ethan

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I don't think they are pure P amethystina because some of the seeds from the same fruit produced very different looking blooms. Some were the same color with straight filaments (whatever they are called) other flowers were blue, some with curly filaments and others straight but all were quite long.
    Karyn

• abdielg
    16 years ago

Well, then I guess it's still a mystery!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES