Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Sunburst

karyn1
16 years ago

My Sunburst finally bloomed. I really like the color of this flower. Too bad it's not bigger.

Karyn

Comments (11)

• MissSherry
    16 years ago

I love the color, too - you don't see those colors in many passionflowers.
    Does it have a bad smell like my books say?
    Sherry

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I didn't notice any smell but I'm congested and can't smell much of anything.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

Karyn that is pretty ...I'm about to toss mine in the compost pile...LOL It's all I can do to keep it alive...
    Chena

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I take it back about no smell. It stinks! Thankfully you need to get right up to it to smell it and that horrible odor doesn't waft in the air. lol
    Karyn

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

When my large plant was in full bloom with about 50 flowers you could smell it from about 20ft away. It does stink! Smells like smashed lacewings to me.
    I just like it because it is unusually colored and has pretty foilage.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have a number of flowers blooming on mine but it's surrounded by nice smelling jasmines, brugs and a corkscrew vine. I guess I'd better make sure not to move them anywhere until the passie's done blooming. lol It was pretty gross when I got right up to it, yuck!
    Karyn

16 years ago

Karyn did your sunburst produce any green changing to purple berries/fruit? Last year mine had some that were about marble sized. The only thing that could have pollinated it at that time was Lady Margaret unless they are self fertile (no clue if they are). Some were mostly empty but in a few, there were the tiniest seeds in there. I planted some and they came up albino!! Obviously they died but it was wierd. I have some photos of the seeds I will try to get uploaded to photobucket so I can post them.
    ~SJN

16 years ago

Okay I found the photos of the fruit/seedpod. I totally had forgotten that I even had this. I put the fruit up against an old red chicken pot so they would show up better.
    {{gwi:1133644}}

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Those look sort of like concord grapes that aren't ripe. I haven't seen any fruit and I've tried pollinating it with just about everything that I have blooming. I'm wondering if the morifolia and the ones I grew from seed are self fertile because there's so much fruit. Almost every bloom and I only hand pollinated a few. Another of my seedlings bloomed. It looks similar to the others except is blue instead of purple. I'll post a pic later.
    Karyn

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What do you know. When I went out today I saw a few little fruits in the Sunburst and they do look like little grapes. Here's a pic of the other seedling. It's bluer then it shows in the photo.
    Karyn

{{gwi:249744}}

16 years ago

That is pretty. Still wondering if the sunburst are self fruiting...hey j_blaske? LOL!

Sponsored
VA's Foremost Professional Roofing & Siding Craftsmen