Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
romando_gw

I got a parritae/antioquiensis cross!

romando
17 years ago

Just bought it at the UC Berkeley botanical gardens sale. It's in a 4" pot, about 4 feet tall (no branching yet, just a long trailer) for only $6. I'm so excited. They had parritae plants also, but they were gone before I got there. :(

They aren't sure what the bloom will look like, but I'm willing to wait and find out! Just wanted to share my joy...

Amanda 'romando'

Comments (14)

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Um.... Ok, You suck. (He says grinning...)
    There's an antioquiensis and a parritae for sale right now on ebay.. Wonder where they came from. I think I remember asking that guy where he obtained his stuff- Pretty sure he said he works there at the garden.

I'd love to have one of each, but I just don't have the space nor the time at the moment. Picked up a membranacea last week for about $75 delivered.. That'll do it for the expensive plants for a while.

• romando
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Oh; I'm afraid you will really hate me now! I didn't mention that I also got a passiflora membranacea at the botanical gardens sale: a gallon pot, and the plant itself is about 4 feet tall and very full and thick-- I could totally have sent you some cuttings! Best part: (you're gonna crap) it was only $12.00. It probably weighs 10 pounds. Do you have your plant yet? Can you cancel your order?
    (she says as she ducks to avoid the slap coming her way)

Amanda 'romando'

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Yeah I have mine...
    (dresses up the ferets in their ninja suits & gives them an adress in california... Wait, did I type that outloud?)

It is a nice plant tho- 4" pot, about 24" long.. Definately not the "oh look it's got 1 leaf sell it" often seen on ebay.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    17 years ago

Amanda, that's cool! I can't wait to see what the flower looks like. I wish I could go to one of those sales at the Arboretum. (sigh...)

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Ya you & me both. I almost went as far as to root up some of my Sister's old friends in the Gay I mean Bay Area with a "I'll pay you if you..." proposition.. But I can see it already.... "If you go here & get me a passiflora antioquiensis and a parritae I'll..." They come back with an alata & caerulea or something.. "Dide there was a big crowd around those two you wanted so I got you these instead. Cool huh?" Oh Thanks.. (mumble mumble...)

Had another thought- Find out when there's a sale & plan to hit it in conjunction with some future trip to California.. 'Course I find out about the place a few weeks after I move 500 miles further away. Sigh. Oh well.

• sean
    17 years ago

I expect mine to bloom soon, I received it from Dave Hermeyer at Strybing as a plant trade. Mine was also just 6 inches long but it has grown to well over 15 feet and is beginning to branch well. Our temperatures have started to cool enough for my other tacsonia's to begin blooming and fruiting so hopefully this one will form buds soon. I will be sure to post photo's as soon as I get the first bloom.
    I hope that it shows some or Parritae's traits in the bloom.

Cheers,
    Sean

• daveh_sf
    17 years ago

You can also get antioquiensis x parritae plants at the Strybing Arboretum monthly plant sales. They also have antioquiensis, membranacea, and lots of others. I've got a huge antio in my garden that has dozens of fruits on it now. When they ripen I'll share the seeds here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Strybing Arboretum plant sales

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Quote: "Here is a link that might be useful: Strybing Arboretum plant sales"

He looks... Wait where is this place? SF? (noises of things breaking in the other room)

Figures.

Don't suppose anyone knows of a place like that in Portland or Seattle? Prolly would suck to find out about it a few months after I move outta here...

• daveh_sf
    17 years ago

Both antioquiensis x parritae and exoniensis x parritae recently bloomed on plants at Strybing Arboretum. Here's a link to photos of them. Photos by Jeff Hirsh.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parritae crosses

• misstheburg
    17 years ago

i see one selling on ebay right now- imagine it will go for a bundle!! great for you guys that live close to the botanical gardens.

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Those usually go for $75 to $100 or so.. On ebay that is. 'Course those (lucky) few who live right next to the place can get there early & pick up a few for (what?) $10.

Supply, demand & location. Oh well.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

How come they don't have plant sales like that in the DC area : ( Yeah I know, I'm in zone denial.
    Karyn

• DaveinCanada
    12 years ago

Does anyone have seeds to sell a Canadian collector? Thanks-Dave

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Mauro's company has a wonderful selection of passiflora seeds (and others) and will ship world wide. They are located in Brazil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brazil Plants

Sponsored