Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lileecoi

Help!! I got too carried away :0(

lileecoi
16 years ago

Last winter I got a case of yellow & purple passionfruit. I planted the seeds, placing the resulting (20)plants in a sunny outdoor bed for the summer along with a p. quadrangularis & p. maliformis & other edulis cuttings. Fast forward to now- in DC, where I live, its almost time to bring them indoors. How long can I keep fruiting plants outside before damge to fruit? What's the best way to dig up passies planted in the ground and replace them in pots. I know I will probably have to prune them but do I need to prune the roots? Is it possible to get the fruiting vines to ripen indoors? Some have may fruit but do I have to lose them when I transfer to pots? I'll be moving them from my Mom's yard to my apartment where I use artificial lighting, humidifiers & battle temps frequently in the 90's all winter long(I grow orchids with no problems other than space ;0) Do passies need to go through a period of dormancy or can I keep them growing non-stop all winter long? Any info anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. It was so hard to get the seeds to grow & I would hate to see all the effort go to waste.

-Thanks-

Comments (7)

• tommysmommy
    16 years ago

You mean my passionflower vines could product fruit?!?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Lileecoi I'm in the DC suburbs and winter my passies over inside with no problem. There's still time here for fruit to ripen before we get a frost. My passies are container grown but I do sink many of the pots in the garden. I just cut the roots that have grown out the drainage holes when I lift them. When you dig them up you are root pruning and will have to cut back the vines accordingly. I'd try to dig up as big a rootball as possible, pot them up and give them some B1 and/or Superthrive to lessen transplant shock. Just from the shock of transplanting the fruit will probably drop but I have to cut most of the growth back anyway just to get them inside and lose the immature fruit from pruning. If any of your fruiting vines are small enough to get inside without pruning you can see if they'll ripen. I've had several fruit on container grown plants that weren't sunk in the yard continue to ripen once brought inside. I use artificial lighting and many of my plants continue blooming. None of my plants go dormant but I do cut way back on watering while inside. Why do you keep it in the 90's inside? I'd melt! I grow several orchid varieties and keep them relatively cool over the winter. You should keep a fan going on your plants to keep the air circulating, especially if they are crowded. Good luck with your passies over the winter.
    Karyn

• lileecoi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help Ms. Karyn. What is the maximum pot size you suggest for flowering & fruit production? And yes Ms. Tommysmommy(luv the name:0) your passion flower can produce passion fruit depending on what variety you have.

I've turned my small separate dining room into a garden room. Its connected to my kitchen & has 1 window for ventilation. I live in an old building that uses radiators for heat, so what started out as 1 shelf over that radiator(great for bottom heat)with 3 orchids and an aloe, has become bench type plantings of every type of citrus, pomegranate, cooking herb, low/medium light orchids & the essential variety of house plants. Its so hot in there because of all the lights that I use to supplement the few hours of eastern exposure, but in the winter all I have to do is crack the window & protect from drafts. I've installed a ceiling fan & use 2 humidifiers. The result is an unintended greenhouse effect. So I sometimes have more growth during the winter than I did while my plants were outside. The biggest problem is knowing which plant need a dormant period.

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That sounds like a nice bit of your own little tropics in the city. Actually I think NW DC is one of the most beautiful cities, especially during the spring and early summer. The parks dept does a wonderful job with plant displays throughout the city. I'm also a bit biased because they get many of their plants from my DH. lol I have my passies in all different sized containers depending on the size of the plant (really the root system because I cut the plants back), from 6" to 30" pots. Whatever size they are growing well in without having the roots coming through the drainage holes or circling the bottom of the pot should be fine. My pomegranates do go kind of dormant in the winter and drop most of their foliage but I still keep them inside. My citrus usually bloom throughout the winter but don't put on a ton of foliage growth. I cut way back on watering and don't fertilize my plants over the winter. That goes for all, not just the dormant ones. I think the only plants I have that go completely dormant besides bulb/tuber type plants are my brugs and plumies.
    Karyn

• lileecoi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ms. Karyn, what kind(s) of pomegranate do you grow? Are there any fruiting types hardy in our area?

• karyn1
    16 years ago

Just Karyn please. lol I grow dwarf pomegranates. The fruit is much smaller then Wonderful or the other popular eating varieties, about the size of an egg, but it is edible though not nearly as sweet. None of the varieties are hardy here, even the dwarfs. They can withstand a light frost but nothing more then that.
    Karyn

• lileecoi
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help Karyn.(I live in DC, but my husband and I are from the south, sometimes it shows :0)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!