Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
billnjenn

First taste of P. Incarnata fruit

billnjenn
17 years ago

I was able to taste, for the first time, the fruit of an incarnata this morning and found it to be really good. The fruit was still green and hadn't wrinkled at all, but seemed ripe as the seeds were black and well-formed.

Billy

Comments (8)

• fledglingardening
    17 years ago

You're making me jealous. I've got what looks like 2 fruit on my incarnata, but the larger one is only just getting some weight to it. I may even have to bring the plant in for winter before even the first one's ripe.

I'm wondering what it will taste like when I get into it. The flowers' smell about knocked me for a loop--its only strong when you get close, and to me it smelled like, well, like boiling chicken stock...

• wildlifegarden
    17 years ago

fledgling....boiling chicken stock????? that sounds crazy. my incarnata smells just like my buddliea davidii (spelling?) I wonder if your fruit will taste like chicken.hehehe

michelle

• cheerpeople
    17 years ago

I just tasted my first one ever- but it is not incarnata. It has small white flowers. It is probably not hardy here started it from seed-.-The fruit was soft and purple and tasted gross. Won't be saving these seeds!
    Karen

• greengal74
    17 years ago

You posted "I just tasted my first one ever- but it is not incarnata. It has small white flowers. It is probably not hardy here started it from seed-.-The fruit was soft and purple and tasted gross. Won't be saving these seeds!
    Karen"

Did you already pitch the seeds? If not, I would be willing to trade for them. I normally only collect edible or really rare passiflora, but I could spare seeds from some of my plants at this time of year, so....

Here is a link that might be useful: Denise's Web Page

• fledglingardening
    17 years ago

wildlifegarden-- I'm betting that one of us, either me or the p. incarnata, is a mutant...but which? ; P If it turns out I don't like the taste I can always import a few gulf frits & start a butterfly colony.

cheerpeople--! Eating fruit from something that you hadn't ID'd! :/ That's a good way to get yourself sick. You're lucky it was just yucky.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

I have three very different incarnata fruiting right now, but thus far only one is ripening. Those fruit are green when they drop and not turning yellow, but wrinkle after a few days. They're about the size and shape of your average kiwi fruit. The flavor is definitely evocative of the commercial edulis fruit, only there's little acid, so the overall taste is lacking. The flowers are lavendar and white, maybe 3" across.

Of my two other plants, one is producing fruit maybe half the size of the first one. No idea how they'll taste. This one is very reluctant to set fruit. The flowers are smaller, too, about 2.5" across and darker purple. The third one is a monster. The flowers are as big as my Incense blossoms, lavendar and white with touches of purple, and the fruit are the size of goose eggs. Even the leaves are twice the size of those of the other plants. Obviously, fingers are crossed that the flavor of this one's fruit is good.

• billnjenn
    Original Author
    17 years ago

These fruits were also green. They must not have been off the vine very long, since they'd not wrinkled yet. They felt somewhat heavy, though. I broke open the fruit and smushed the pulp and seeds around and scooped some out. It really does taste somewhat like Hawaian punch.

I've got several cuttings that I'm hoping will root soon, so that I will be able to plant them along our fence beside our house. If they don't root, I suppose I will have plenty of seeds.

Billy

• fledglingardening
    17 years ago

Well, last Friday I finally got into the bigger fruit, seems the small one fell off somewhere, sometime. As I was moving my incarnata to a better spot, I touched the fruit and it fell off in my hand. It hadnÂt changed color, and felt very light, so I didnÂt expect much. But oh how good it smelled when I cut into it! No poultry this time, just very fruity and floral. Most of it was hollow, which was rather neat because I could see how the undeveloped seeds were arranged. Near the tip of it though, were a few swelled sacks of pulp/juice, which on closer inspection, held six ripe-looking seeds. Those are now in a pot, waiting to do what they do. So after discovering the seeds, I couldnÂt resist sticking my fingers in the little bit of pulp/juice. It reminded me mainly of fresh pineapple, with a little bit of an aftertaste, but that could be from under ripeness or lack of additional sugar.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths