Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Different edulis blooms

karyn1
15 years ago

Another of my edulis vines finally bloomed but the flower is solid white. My other one has a white and purple flower. I didn't realize that there were white edulis flowers. I tried cross pollinating them. Do you think that will work?

{{gwi:553611}}

{{gwi:553612}}

Comments (7)

• linda-lu
    15 years ago

Hi Karyn,

It seems to me that that might work, but I am a complete novice at this! I'm just excited for you that you ended up with two different blooms!

One of my seedlings has finally sprouted its first adult leaf. Yeah!

Rgds,

Linda.

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Karyn,

I really like the white one--very cool! Hopefully someone will get back to you as to whether it's been seen before. If not, Something tells me there would be people out there interested in growing it. Have you thought about propagating it and registering it if white is uncommon and it gives good fruit? It may be premature for the second, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who would be disappointed if it is fairly unique and it was lost for some reason.

If nobody out there can tell you whether high quality white flowers have been seen, maybe you could contact someone? Say Myles Irvine (I'm guessing he'll read the post at some point and respond, but it looks like you can send him email). Elizabeth at Grassy Knoll may also be of help. I'm sure either of those people can direct you to whomever would know if they themselves don't know. They could probably also tell you whether the flower would be considered by the pros to be a "quality" one--I would certainly not have a clue there as to what's involved.

I have to say I especially like how the flower is pure white. Is there any unusual pigmentation (or lack thereof) elsewhere on the vine?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The foliage and stems look just like my other edulis vines and the seeds were all from the same batch. That was it's first bloom and there's more buds developing. I just hope there's enough warm weather left before the temps drop so I can see if they are also white. I'll move it to the greenhouse but the move might cause the buds to drop, besides that I'll have to cut it back to move it. I'll probably try rooting some of the cuttings. I figured there was a solid white variety and was wondering if it had a name. I'm hoping that Myles responds to this post.
    Thanks,
    Karyn

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Karyn,

Did you catch this one?

http://www.brazilplants.com/passifloraceae/passiflora-edulis-alba.html

Yours is much nicer, IMO--a pure white.

• passionflow
    15 years ago

Hi Karyn
    Many flowers throw up the odd white one - either from seed or from a sport - a stem that does it. Edulis alba as mark has found out.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora sport

• karyn1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I never really thought of a passie sending up a sport unlike the original like brugs do but I guess all plants have the potential. Mark I like the flower on mine better also. I should know soon enough if I'll get anymore white flowers and if it's a sport or the whole plant. There's a couple branches with buds. I just hope there's enough warm weather left here for them to open. The vine is too long to get into the GH without being cut back.
    Karyn

• jibber75_gmail_com
    13 years ago

i bought some seeds on ebay about two years ago thinking i purchased a sea enemy which is very similar leaf structure to panama or edulis but what i got was a vine that produces two different flowers on the one vine, the normal edulis flower more like a pandora flower and a pure white edulis which are scattered in different parts of the vine equally with the other type of normal edulis, i have never heard of this so i took some photos very strange and unique!