Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First year purple passion vine

Posted by kelso87 Wisconsin (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 16, 11 at 17:38

I recieved a purple passion vine for my birthday in may. at the time it had one vine and one flower. This summer it grew beautifully, all the way to the top of the 4 foot trellis attached to the pot. at least 40 flowers bloomed. I am a first time gardener and need alot of help! My fruit finally turned orange, but were hollow on the inside. Obviously because it wasnt pollunated? frost is coming and i need to know how to bring it inside this winter. Do i cut it back to the main stem? Take cuttings and make new plants for pollunation next year? Do anything with the hollow fruit on the vines right now? Keep it in the basement or window? I would love to do as much as i can with this beautiful plant! Any info is appreciated! Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First year purple passion vine

Do you know what the variety is? If it's incarnata you could allow it to go dormant in a garage or cool basement. If it's a tropical/sub-tropical variety I'd cut it back to a manageable size and keep it inside under a grow light. Reduce the amount of water you give it. The worst thing you can do is over water while it's inside. Water only when necessary but I would mist the foliage several times a week to discourage sucking insects like mealies, spider mites, etc. You can try rooting the cuttings. Some varieties are easy to root and others next to impossible. I get hollow fruit on my caeruleas often. You might want to get an unrelated variety for cross pollination.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here