Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will P. Foetida survive planted in ground over winter here?

Posted by Katie88 z7 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 25, 04 at 17:41

Traded for these Passiflora Foetida seedlings, planted near my Passiflora Incarnata, we're still having 80 degree days, cool nights, will Foetida weather winter here?
Thanks,
Katie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will P. Foetida survive planted in ground over winter here?

P. Foetida

Hardiness: USDA zone 9 B - 11.
Propagation: seeds.
Culture: full sun / light shade, well drained soil.
Plant in frost free areas.

The genus Passiflora (passion flowers, passion fruit) contains about 350 vine species that live in warm or tropical habitats. Only one species, Passiflora foetida, is thought to be a potentially carnivorous plant. When the plant flowers, it makes glandular bracts. Digestive enzymes have
been found inside the plant's tissues, but not on the bract surfaces.

o

Foetida overwinters fine in coastal 8b and 9a areas...you may lose top growth but it is hardy enough.

o

There's different varieties of P. foetida. Some more tropical varieties may be very cold tender. The kind I have in Texas has survived down into the mid-teens with no problem. Most of the vines were zapped in December last year, but I'm seeing a little growth that is still green. I have WAY too much, more come up every year.

o

glade to know foetida will survive outside. we drop into the 20's here but the frost stops at my property line (looks wird) will that help?

o

Most certainly it will. They all can take more cold than advertised, but perhaps less frost than advertised.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here