Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Passiflora arida, P foetida, P arizonica

Posted by chuparosa AZ (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 18:02

Just learned this.
Might be helpful to others.
Please do consider invasiveness when selecting plants.

Passiflora arida is invasive at least in Arizona.
It has been misidentified as Passiflora foetida.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/edits/documents/Passariz.d.pdf
excerpt:
"AIDS TO IDENTIFICATION: Passiflora arizonica is the only Passiflora found in Arizona with a lilac-colored corona and pinnatifid stipules. It is easy to distinguish from a commonly confused naturalized (and invasive) species of Passiflora in Arizona, P. arida. P. arida lacks the obvious glandular trichomes that are so abundant in P. arizonica, and generally has more numerous, longer and narrower leaf lobes than P. arizonica."

Note that Passiflora foetida variety arizonica has been recently reclassified as Passiflora arizonica. A real nice plant and I'm told the fruits taste good.

More on recent reclassification and invasiveness at
http://www.cababstractsplus.org/google/abstract.asp?AcNo=20043057022
"Abstract: Two species of Passiflora in Arizona (USA) and northwestern Mexico are investigated. One species, P. arida, native to Baja California and Sonora, has recently been found to be naturalizing in southern Arizona. Another, P. foetida var. arizonica, native to southern Arizona and Sonora, is examined for taxonomic distinctiveness and raised to a new species, Passiflora arizonica. These two species are compared to each other, the potential threat of weediness in P. arida is reviewed, and the distinctive features of the biology of P. arizonica are discussed. Furthermore, comparisons are made with several other related New World Passiflora species of similar geographic range or morphology."

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Passiflora arida, P foetida, P arizonica

Great info, thanks for posting. I've read the article and found it very insightful and used it as the basis for a recent article in Desert Survivors most recent newsletter about the Passiflora confusion with bryonioides and arizonica.
I agree the fruit is tasty on arizonica but I do prefer bryonioides.
We'll have both arizonica and bryonioides for sale Oct 6th and 7th if you are interested.
Aaron

o
RE: Passiflora arida, P foetida, P arizonica

Desert dweller , do you still sell those two? P.bryoniodes and arizonica?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here