Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkrup44

Moving Passiflora that are in the ground

jkrup44
14 years ago

Hello. I have a couple of Passiflora that I would like to move to a different side of my yard, where it would have better support for climbing. I was able to move a P. 'Lavender Lady' by digging as deep below it as I could and then replanting it. The plant suffered from some serious shock and dropped almost all of it's leaves. But, the good thing is that the leaves are sprouting back all over the vine and there are some new small branches that seem to appear. So I would say that my 'Lavender Lady' is going to be fine and will recover (picture below). So, considering the amount of shock it suffered, I am very concerned about trying this again with others. I have a couple of P. edulis that I would like to move, but I have serious doubts about doing it. Since I have been caring for these plants since they were small cuttings, they have some sentimental value to them.

Does anybody have any experiences with digging up and moving Passiflora?

Josh

Comments (3)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I only dig them up to put them in the greenhouse for winter protection. I dig up a good size rootball and cut the vines way back to reduce shock.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I also give them some B-1 and/or Superthrive once transplanted to help reduce shock.

• louisianamark
    14 years ago

I'd take some cuttings and let them root before trying to move the plant. That way you can start over if the one in the ground doesn't survive the move.

Mark

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022