Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
misssherryg

Anastasia

MissSherry
16 years ago

I ordered p. 'Anastasia', p. loefgrenii, and p. reflexiflora from Grassy Knoll a few weeks ago, and I got my first bloom today, 'Anastasia' - it's real big, about the size of 'Incense'!

{{gwi:447856}}
Sherry

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    16 years ago

That's beautiful.
    Karyn

• chena
    16 years ago

Congrats Sherry!!!! That is beautiful...Mine better hurry up...LOL
    Chena

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I found three gulf frit eggs on my 'Anastasia' a few days ago, and I found what looks to be about a ?second or third instar caterpillar on it this afternoon, so I imagine there was at least one egg on it before I found the three. So for the gulf and variegated frit enthusiasts, it looks like Anastasia is a suitable host plant. :)
    Sherry

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

That is just gorgeous, Sherry, I'm so0o0o jealous lol. I found that this one does not do well in extreme dry heat.
    I lost my mother plant to the heat and it is a good thing I took all those cuttings an grew them indoors! I also lost the 'pink festival' mother plant to heat( but had taken cuttings from that one too ;)) but 'Victoria' took the hot summer like a champ. So perhaps I will get flowers on Victoria soon. She is putting out a ton of new growth now. I guess Victoria is a pretty good heat tolerant passie and not many of them can take up to 120's with nights around 105!

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks sultry jasmine night! Where do you live that the temps get so high? The Arizona desert? Fortunately for me, the temps here rarely go above 95, even in July or August - this year it only went above 95 degrees on 2 or 3 days, for the rest of the hottest months, it got up to the high 80's or low 90's.
    And you get night temps of 105? Whew!
    I've got plenty of humidity here, and it appears that my new passis all like it. In addition to the 3 new ones from GK, I got p. amethystina and p. eichleriana 'Mauro Peixota' from Georgia Vines, and p. incarnata 'alba' and p. 'Amethyst' from Woodlander's.
    I'd like to have p. umbilicata and possibly a few others from GK when they're available.
    The caterpillars are all growing nicely, one of them looks to be ready to pupate - only butterfly/caterpillar nuts like seeing their plants get eaten by cats! :)
    Sherry

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    16 years ago

Yes I do live in the desert lol. Lake Havasu City on the outskirts. There are actually some places around here that get hotter than that- its really horrid. Nice in the winter though. I used to live on the gulf coast of Louisiana and all my passies loved it there too. I had way more butterflies down there. I would keep extra plants just for the cats. I miss the humidity- it makes a huge difference with plants (but also my hair LOL).

Sounds like you have a great collection going there. There are lots I still would like to get as well and new ones coming out all the time-yikes.

• MissSherry
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well, lots more little gulf frits are showing up on my Anastasia, and they've eaten it down pretty good. This afternoon, the four big cats moved over to the p. reflexiflora and p. loefgrenii, and they've been eating on those two - so far, they're doing well, so it looks like those might be two more passis that the longwings can thrive on!
    Sherry

Sponsored