Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmill_gw

P. 'Dreamcatcher'

gardenmill
9 years ago

Hi I ordered a P. 'Dreamcatcher' about two/three weeks ago and it wasn't in the best condition. I've been trying to keep it afloat but it seems to be getting worse. It's lost most of it's large leaves, a few of its shoots have dried off, but it does have a growing point or two but the foliage is more yellow than green.

Anyone have any experience with Dreamcatcher or similar types and can offer some advice on how to not lose this guy?

If I have time later, I'll post a picture of the plant.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (5)

• passiefarm
    9 years ago

I believe 'Dreamcatcher' is a hybrid from the Decaloba family. For me (in C. Florida) I have had the best luck keeping this family of Passiflora in morning sun, shaded in the afternoon. Let the soil dry between watering, as they often decline when soil is too moist.

• gardenmill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the information. The growing points on it right now don't look so bad and it looks like it's coming back. I had it in a high temperature environment, and moved it to another high temperature environment and kept the soil perhaps too moist. But I moved it to a less intense location and have the watering on check. Also I think there are laterals pushing on some of the bare shoots. Thanks again, can't wait to see it bloom somewhere down the road.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

I've been growing P. 'Dreamcatcher' outside in Northern California (25 miles South of SF) for the last year. It's survived, but has not thrived, and has not bloomed. Part or all of the reason for this may have been a bad choice of location. The first spot, where it was for many months, was definitely too shady. At some point (I don't remember the month) I planted it in the ground. That spot may also get not enough sun, or possibly the wrong kind of sun (early afternoon only). Possibly the watering was irregular as well. The plant is not huge at the moment, but looks good (see photo below). I'm hoping it will grow a bit this Fall, although I'd like to try a cutting in a spot with better sun, more in the morning.

I do wonder whether the plant would prefer more warmth than we get here. We've actually been a bit warmer than usual at night here the last couple months, with lows averaging about 60. Summer temps are typically about 75/55, which I suspect is colder than a lot of Decalobas like (with some exceptions, of course: P. membranacea, P. bicuspidata, etc.). I've gotten no frost the past 3 cold winters.

• gardenmill
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That's a real nice looking vine, but maybe it might be too cold for the vine, seeing as how they come from Florida. I also figured out the main problem with mine - spider mites; I'm surprised it's survived this long with them. Going to try to wash them off for now but I might get an acaricide for good measure.

If it ever ends up recovering and growing out, I might start cuttings and put them in a conservatory both in a cool room and a tropical room and see what happens.

• mark4321_gw
    9 years ago

The hybrid was made by Jim Nevers (passiflorista on Ebay) in Florida, but both parents are from South America, one, maybe both from Brazil. I don't think the parents are a secret, but since Jim doesn't seem to mention them in his Ebay ad I'll leave them off. One of them should have some cold hardiness, as it comes from the mountains in Southern Brazil.

Of course hardiness to a brief cold snap is different than months of cool, but not freezing temperatures, which is what I get. My lows are in the 40s almost all year, climbing into the 50s only in the summer. The more tropical Decalobas are not too happy with that.

That said, there are plenty of Brazilian plants that do better in California than Florida. A (non-Passiflora) example is Begonia luxurians.

I have had some problems with spider mites on this hybrid as well.

Sponsored
Expert Cabinetry Refinishing & Refacing in Loudoun County