Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
posenite

passion flower cuttings

posenite
13 years ago

I would like to take some cuttings of my passion flower and was wondering if now is the right time. Also should I provide bottom heat? Any helpful hints would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments (12)

• mark4321_gw
    13 years ago

Now should be a good time, but any info you have on which variety it is would be helpful. If you don't know what it is a picture would help. Bottom heat helps many, but not all.

• posenite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know the name of my passion flower. I bought it at a nursery a couple of years ago and it didn't have a name only said it was hardy to zone 10. I haven't figured out how to post pictures yet but I will try. Thanks for your help.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Is this a container grown plant that you winter over inside? It sounds like it's a tropical variety that is suited to zone 10. Bottom heat will probably help with rooting if it's a tropical variety. I'd use a very well draining medium to put your cuttings in as well as use some type of rooting hormone.

• pshawn
    13 years ago

There is a previous posting on this forum about a couple of good methods:

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/passiflora/msg100542156419.html

I use Randy's cup method with a fair deal of success, and haven't had a ton of luck with oasis cubes, though people with far more experience than me swear by it.

To post pictures, go to photobucket.com, make an account, add pictures, and then you can cut and paste the "html address" next to the pictures into a message here. Took me a while to figure out too.

shawn

• posenite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all for your help. Yes this is a potted plant. I keep it in my basement in the winter. I will certainly try Randy's method for my cuttings. I did start a Photobucket account and posted a picture of my flower. Hope this works.

http://s853.photobucket.com/home/Posenite/index

• posenite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't think I did it right the first time so I'm trying again. Wish me luck.

http://s853.photobucket.com/albums/ab93/Posenite/My%20Flowers/?action=view&current=100_0698.jpg

• mark4321_gw
    13 years ago

That looks like P. alatocaerulea aka P. belotii aka P. pfordtii.

I have not tried to root this plant, but I gather both of its parents are supposed to be pretty straightforward, so it's probably not too difficult either. It might be possible to root it in water.

No doubt many people here have experience propagating this hybrid.

• pshawn
    13 years ago

I agree with the ID, and I have rooted this one from cuttings. Quite easy. I actually just stuck big cuttings in one gallon pots with soil and kept them moist--they all took. I wouldn't recommend that method, but it worked... Good luck!

• taz6122
    13 years ago

Here's your picture. You have to copy the "HTML" code and paste it here.

• passionflow
    13 years ago

More cutting info below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora cuttings

• posenite
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the help. TAZ6122 I thought that's what I did. As you can tell I'm not the best on the computer. I have one more question. Do all passion flowers only last for one day?

• eristal
    13 years ago

The short answer would be: "yes", as most of the species that are commercially and easily available do last for only one day. However, there are quite a few that exist which will last for more than one day, for instance the Australian species P. aurantia and P. herbertiana last for 3-4 where I live and longer for some people. Also, some flowers that would normally only last one day in the hottest months tend to stay open for longer in the fall, up to a max of 2 days usually.

The compensation for the short life of each individual is the quantity and quality of the flowers!

Eric

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor