Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
only1joanie

where are good vendors

only1joanie
17 years ago

I used to be able to get to a site that showed tons of different passion vine pics but can't find it now. Does anyone have a good idea? Also I would like to know some good vendors of passion vines. I already have Incense and it grows like crazy but there are some really even more exotic ones that I would like to buy.

Comments (15)

• karyn1
    17 years ago

I've bought passion vines from a number of places. I did get some big beautiful vines from Caldwell Nursery in Texas this past summer, I've also bought vines from Kartuz Nursery and a number of eBay sellers. I've gotten some nice passion flowers from georgivines and impower56 on eBay.
    Karyn

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Desert Survivors in Arizona carries p. mexicana, which is a native for you.

I ordered some plants from GlassHouseWorks back in the early summer--so long ago I'd forgotten about it. I just got an email from them yesterday saying they'd shipped my order! No telling what the quality of the plants will be like.

• nealzibub
    17 years ago

Try http://www.gkexoticplants.com/gkexoticplants.com/main.htm

I have never ordered from him, no idea about quality or service, but his selection is certainly admirable, and unlike Kartuz, he seems to have most everything in stock!

Here is a link that might be useful: Grassy Knoll exotics

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Georgiavines has a nice variety of passion flowers listed on eBay now.
    Karyn

• Krstofer
    17 years ago

Here's a list I made long ago of seed providors & pix:
    (some links may be dead..)

www.passiflora.org

www.passiflora.tk

www.passiebloem.nl

www.passiflorasite.100.nl

http://biological-diversity.info/native_passiflora_main.htm

www.nafralevi.de

http://forum.msg.icpro.de/PM4D/PM4DH/PM4DHF/pm4dhf.htm

www.passiflora.ch

www.sementes.de

www.sunshine-seeds.com

http://home.t-online.de/home/Gregory.David/html/body_passiflora.html

www.passiflora.info

www.golatofski.de

http://br.f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/yurieduardo2003

http://13005.forum.onetwomax.de

http://www.exot-nutz-zier.de/

MSN Passifloren Gruppe (auf Deutsch)

Also try Trade Winds Fruit.

Ebay is also a good source however I've found over the years plants shipped in the pot do much better than those who arrive bare root. Sure shipping's a little more for the pot but call it insurance.
    Good intentions are there I'm sure but unless that root-ball is packaged *extremely* well (or just luckily) it gets shaken all about during shipping thus causing the plant to be very distressed when it arrives.

When I get one who's been thru the ringer I immediately pot 'im up & place him in the terrarium- SOmetimes even firing up a "poor guy's CO2 generator" (tank thingy on the left of the drawing) to give 'em that extra boost.
    Most of the time it works, but I'd imagine the average grower doesn't have a 'plant ICU' sitting in the living room.

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

I got my order in from Glasshouse Works on Friday and it's a curiously mixed bag. The plants were packed very securely for shipping, so they obviously paid a good bit of attention to that.

The coreacea I ordered appears to be quite healthy, but its root system is somewhat minimalist. It arrived in a 2" starter pot with a dark potting mix, so transplanting went easily. It still appears to be happy.

The Constance Elliott I ordered had a very impressive root system, and was packed in a very dense mix of moss. There was some yellowing of the leaves and other stress indicators, but with those roots I expect it'll recover rapidly. Except, here's the thing: It's not a Constance Elliott. It's got fat, tri-lobed leaves like x belotii or the like. I'm going to have to get out the books and do some serious comparison to figure out what it is before it blooms. On the plus side, I ended up getting a Constance Elliott back in July, so I'm somewhat happy to have a mystery plant at this juncture.

Thirdly, there was a "bonus plant" thrown in with my order as well. It's labled as "Inspiration" which is interesting. Incense was my first passi, so I'm keen on seeing how this "improved" version compares. Plus, it's supposed to have semi-viable pollen and reportedly can pollinate Byron Beauty. We'll see (have to get a Byron Beauty first, I supposed). The leaves are *very* yellow and scraggly, leaving me to think it was found forgotten in a dim corner of their greenhouse. By ye gods! The ROOTS on this thing! Just a little light and fertilizer, and it should be taking over the yard in no time.

So, the long and short of it is, these guys take forver and aren't all that reliable in the accuracy department. On the plus side, they're cheap and if you like the unexpected, entertaining as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glasshouse Works

• smurfboy
    17 years ago

www.logees.com I have a spring catalog thats got a dozen varieties in it, plant though.

• karyn1
    17 years ago

Another reputable nursery is Zone 9 Tropicals. I haven't bought passion flowers from them but I've purchased a number of other plants and have been very satisfied.
    Karyn

• georgiavines
    17 years ago

The gallery at Georgia Vines has many photos, and a slideshow. This may be what you're looking for.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Vines

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey!
    There alot of wonderful seeds at e~bay right now.. great prices as well...I have purchased from Impower56 and recieved Beautiful plants.. GV's has a great selection.I have shopped there several times before.. everything was wonderful but one .. I didn't have the time to pursue it.. I would shop there again..She is very very nice..and I'm sure it would have been handled if I would have been able to take care of it at the time..My fault not hers!
    Chena

• georgiavines
    17 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear about your plant Chena. Please tell us what which plant you would like replaced and Mom will send you another. She could also reimburse the total amount if she has none available at this moment. It's your call either way. Thank you for having faith that Mom (Lori Rubel) would have taken care of this had she known about it.
    Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Vines

• chena
    17 years ago

Mike Thank You very much but it has been a few mo..My daughter had to go in for an unplanned C-section so I was on a plane and gone for a couple of weeks.. With a little more TLC than it got it probably would have made it.. I left positive feed back for your mom at the time..becoz the other plants I have recieved were beautiful and have always had wonderful transactions...
    Chena

• chena
    17 years ago

Hey KRS!!!!
    Very interesting clone chamber.. I love it.. I already have all the materials I think I may just give this a try...THANKS for the detailed info...any more tips or tricks are always appreciated..
    Chena

• amysrq
    17 years ago

I just got another beautiful shipment from Brushwood Nursery. (gardenvines dot com) They get great reviews (at dave's) for service. I was a little worried about shipping here to FL cause it's hot here already, but the plants looks great and the soil was still moist.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here's some more info

• jblaschke
    17 years ago

Here's another vote for Georgia Vines. They have great service and good selection. And they put up with me bugging them every few weeks about a holoscerecia. :-)