Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
possums and passiflora

Posted by madabouteu 7b - northern Alabam (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 24, 08 at 21:08

Several weeks ago, I posted my hypothesis that passiflora seeds were designed to germinate well only after passing through the intestinal tract of some animal such as a raccoon or a possum. The idea met resistance.

Well, more or less by accident, on the Internet I found a master's thesis written at the University of Canterbury, a New Zealand school. The investigator studied the banana passionflower, P. mollissima (sp?); it has become an invasive weed in that country. One discovery was that, after being eaten by pigs or possums, the recovered seed had a germination rate of around 50%!!!

You gotta admire the devotion of that graduate student, sifting through pig feces to recover seeds! Glad that was not my thesis... though I did work in an area that still had land mines about (the Sinai).

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: possums and passiflora

Hi
An interesting study but they say that ''Seeds germinated readily in all treatments, with no significant difference between cleaned and fleshy seeds, so seeds do not require frugivore (fruit eater) handling to germinate.''
The implication however which they note is that controlling pig and possum distribution may prevent the spread of the plant as it does not seem to be spread by birds.
Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora seed information

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here