Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thegardenzone

Passiflora Seeds from Ebay

thegardenzone
15 years ago

Hi, do you guys think it's worth the effort buying passion flower seeds from ebay? I have mainly been looking for the fruiting kind to one day harvest from them, thanks

Comments (7)

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

I have about 60 *small* seedlings of P. edulis and I obviously can't keep all of them. These are from a grocery-store fruit. I can send you a few if you are interested--no exchange expected.

P. edulis is a vigorous grower, as are other fruiting kinds you should be able to grow (are you in California or Florida?). Perhaps someone can spare some cuttings. Mine ('Frederick' and 'Nancy Garrison' rooted cuttings, not the seedlings) are too small--I just got my first fruit off the 'Frederick'. You'll get fruit quicker from cuttings than from seeds. With a named variety you'd also know what you're getting. However, many people do just fine with seedlings.

If you are looking for "banana passionfruit"--P. mollissima or more accurately P. tripartita v. mollissima (in California, I'm not sure if you can grow it in Florida--I doubt it), you want to be really careful with the Ebay, since I understand that most are actually P. tarminiana, which has inferior fruit. There's a guy on Ebay who I believe sells the real thing (I bought a really nice plant from him). He also has a nursery, so there's no reason to bid over what he sells them for. Bids start at $5.95, he has 2 plants with no bids at the moment. At the nursery they are a couple bucks more. Even with postage, these are really cheap and very nice plants--they are of course more than seeds. However, it would also save you a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Potato Rock Nursery (P. tripartita var. mollissima seedlings)

• mark4321_gw
    15 years ago

Since nobody has answered your question directly--including me (I have never bought seeds on Ebay) I thought I should add something. Passiflora seeds lose their viability quickly--or in many cases they quickly take much longer to germinate. So getting fresh seeds is the biggest priority. And of course you also want them properly identified. Presumably some people here can tell you which companies sell seeds that germinate readily? I do know that one company that sells a wide variety of seeds--Georgia Vines--has an outstanding reputation. They might be a good place to start.

Below is their web site--you can just buy the seeds and not worry about bidding if you like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Vines Passiflora seeds

• thegardenzone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the reply, i would love to take some seeds of your hands, however i am in florida if that's a problem. I was looking for seeds, not cuttings, mainly because i wanted to try to grow more passion vines, but not so much in a hurry. Thanks

• thegardenzone
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the second post, that's what i wanted to know about

• karyn1
    15 years ago

I have been happy with the seeds from this company. I also have fresh seeds from a couple of my passies, morifolia and foetida and edulis seeds from fruit that I purchased.
    Karyn

Here is a link that might be useful: passiflora seeds

• passionflow
    15 years ago

Hi All
    Georgia Vines are very good, they sell plants as well, but although edulis is grown commercially from seed many other species are very variable from seed and will sometimes not even flower. You are often better gritting your teeth and paying for an established plant from a reputable nursery that they know will flower.
    Myles

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora seed

• tamela_star
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting the Georgia vines site. It's really neat. I ended up buying 2 types of passies from them!

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022