Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eristal

Crystal's first hybrid!!!

eristal
14 years ago

This has been long awaited, though only 6 months from germination to bloom isn't bad. We kept 8 more of the same cross, so we'll see if they turn out different when they decide to bloom. So far this one has lots of buds, but the other siblings all have none. Weird.

Anyway, I think it's fantastic. Crystal is a little underwhelmed for some reason. I'm not sure what she was expecting, but oh well, at least I like it.

Any guesses as to the parentage? I always think that's a fun game, though I'm a bit odd. Oh, and no cheating if I already told you...

Thanks for looking, and I appreciate any input.

Eric Wortman

Comments (14)

• MissSherry
    14 years ago

I don't know what passis you have, so I'll make a wild guess - P. 'Amalia' X P. 'colvillii'.
    Whatever it is, I love it - generally, the bluer a passi is, the more I like it, and that one is very blue!
    Sherry

• kiwinut
    14 years ago

P. amethystina x P. caerulea?

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, Passiflora 'Amalia' has strong amethystina influence, so that is going the right direction. Kiwinut is actually correct on the maternal. It is indeed Passiflora amethystina Minas Gerias.

A hint for the "father": It is a hybrid of two species.

This is fun! (for me anyway...)

Eric

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Crystal said it's only fair that I tell you that one of the paternal parents has already been guessed. Sooooo... the cross so far is: P. amethystina MG x (P. ???? x P. caerulea). Keep playing if you wanna'.

Eric

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

I have no clue on heritages!!! But I think it's gorgeous! ...and I'm amazed that you can have a plant bloom in 6 months!!!!

Crystal has to be so proud of her "baby"!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Very nice bloom Crystal. I like how the center is such a deep purple that it's almost black.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Eric,

Very cool. You can really see the influence of the P. ???? How long did the peduncle end up growing?

Randy

• kiwinut
    14 years ago

P. amethystina x (P. loefgrenii x P. caerulea)?

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Correct Kiwinut! Good job.

Randy, the peduncle only ended up being about 4 inches long, though I didn't measure. Actually, I didn't measure any of it. I'll have to do that on the next flower.

Eric

• rosepedal
    14 years ago

Congrats Crystal and Eric... That blue is pretty..:)

• louisianamark
    14 years ago

That's an awesome new hybrid! The intensity of the color in the center is amazing. Definitely worth registering.

Mark

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Here's a picture of it with it's parents. All pictures we post are from our plants,(unless we say otherwise), so these are accurate. Whether or not it is an improvement on either one is hard to say, but if our goal is beauty and distinction, I think it's a winner.

• jkrup44
    14 years ago

It looks like an improvement to me. Any idea what you would name it?

Josh

• eristal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Josh,

She has a couple of ideas, but wants to wait until the next one opens so she can see it live again. The first flower was all by itself, but we have a large batch coming in a about a week. To make things even harder, before that happens, her second hybrid, (of different parentage) is going to bloom. It may or may not be worthy of registering, also.

Such fun!

Eric

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County