Return to the Passiflora Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cutting a variety of Passiflora in FL???

Posted by passionlove z 9 FL (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 24, 08 at 0:53

Well here is my delema. I am in zone 9, and I know that a lot of my passies will do fine through the winter, but since I am trying to keep them controlled, would it be wise to cut them back? I have a small yard and porch, and since the vines flower on new growth, I really need to get them back down in size. Some of my passies I know will do fine after cutting, but some of my new varieties I am unsure about. The ones I am really concerned about are: Passiflora Reflexiflora, Sunburst, Alata and Exoniensis. Has anyone had bad luck cutting any of these? Anyone have bad luck with cutting down other varieties? I know some Passies are more finicky. Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cutting a variety of Passiflora in FL???

Sunburst and Alata will do fine if cut back. My Sunburst puts out new growth fast and will bloom early on but my Alata takes an awful long time to flower. Since my season is fairly short I only cut my alata back enough to get it into the greenhouse over the winter but you have a much longer growing season then me. I've never grown the other two varieties.

o
RE: Cutting a variety of Passiflora in FL???

I am in the same boat as you here in Zone 9B not knowing if I should cut back to get them under control or leave as is so the plant can keep itself warm. I am most likely going to trim back to several feet. I have violacea, lady margaret, lavendar lady, cerulea, bilotti, and trilobo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Passiflora Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here