Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
figara_gw

Newbie with questions/ ID

figara
14 years ago

Hello Everyone,

I am a newbie to forum and gardening in general. I have a pink brugmansia and I joined the Burgmansia forum about 2 month ago.

About a month ago I came across some seed pods of a Passiflora Kewensis ( I was told is called). I liked so much the flower that I took a few picture of it.

I want to know if this is the name of the plant.

I planted a few seeds and some sprouted and the seedling are about 1 1/2 in. I have a few seeds and I want to give away some but I want to know if this is indeed what I have. Would the seedling be called the same like the parent?

Thank you

Comments (16)

• fluffybonbon
    14 years ago

It's beautiful passie. How do you germinated from seeds ?
    How long the seed will sprout ? I planted some bouquet passion from seed about 5weeks ago but nothing happen yet.Please, share your experience . Thanks

• figara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

First trial I took a few fresh seeds covered with the gely sack right from the seed pod and put them in soil with perlite,kept the soil moist and 2 of them germinated. In a few cases I could see that the gely sack molded and I had to remove it.

Second trial I dried the seeds from the gely sack they were in and planted them in peat moss. I did not wright gown the day when I started but I think is like 2 weeks and I can see one is popping out.

I hope someone will chine in and answer my question. Thanks.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That doesn't look like my P. kewensis. That looks more like a P. mollissima or something similar to it. Here's my P. kewensis. I bought this from a reliable seller so I believe it is correctly ID'd.

{{gwi:530674}}

• fluffybonbon
    14 years ago

Thanks so much . Do you used heating pad to germinate ?
    Where do you purchased these passie seed ?
    My mollissima died in summer because transferred to the pot.
    PLMK,

• figara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn. I search a lot and I found 2 who are similar P. Mollissima and P Tarminiana. What is the difference between them?
    Any other opinion? I would appreciate.
    Had no idea that you can eat the fruits. They were smelling so good when I opened them up that I wanted to taste them but I did not.
    Here are the fruits I picked about 2 wks ago

• figara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fluffybonbon i did not use a heating pad. I did not buy them they were given to me. If you want I can give you few.

Karyn if you want some I will be happy to send them to you. Let me know.

I wish somebody else will chime in and help ID it.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'm not sure what the difference is between mollissima and tarminiana. Both are tasconias. The fruit looks very much like a mollissima fruit but other tasconia fruit might look similar. BTW it's supposed to be quite tasty. Tasconias are not heat lovers and do best in costal areas like S.F. Bay. I have a few tasconias but had to convert a greenhouse into a cooling house during the summer to grow them. P. mollissima might be one of the more heat tolerant tasconias. Hopefully Randy will chime in. He's quite knowledgeable about passies, tasconias in particular.

I use bottom heat for germinating all but incarnata seeds if I'm not starting them during the summer. I store them in the arils for a while and will even allow them to dry still in the arils. If I'm planting seeds that have been dried and stored I soak them in a mild acidic liquid like orange juice for a couple days before planting. Some sprout quick, within 2 weeks but I've had some that have taken the better part of a year to germinate. I don't know if that's due to the age of the seeds, the variety or maybe a combination of the two. I also make sure the soil that the seeds are in isn't too moist, just slightly damp. There's no need to nick the seed coat. This is just what works for me. Hopefully others will respond with what works for them. Here's a good site for passiflora info.

Here is a link that might be useful: passiflora info

• passionflow
    14 years ago

It's P. tarminiana
    Often misIded as P. mollissima.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora tarminiana

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Thank you Myles. I haven't seen you post here in a while.

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

figara,

I think you'll find this on Myles' site, but it's worth repeating.

There is no plant "officially" called P. mollissima. I believe there was in the past.

Two different species are called P. mollissima:

P. tarminiana is the one you have. Most plants sold online that are called P. mollissima are actually this species. This plant is invasive in certain climates including some regions of Hawaii. I believe it's considered invasive to some degree in California, but only along the coast.

P. tripartita var. mollissima is the other species and is sometimes referred to as the "true" mollissima.

The most obvious difference between the two is that the flowers of tarminiana open flat or slightly reflexed (bent back beyond flat), while those of tripartita var. mollissima are campanulate (= bell-shaped), so that the petals don't "open" fully .

To add to the confusion, many of the photos that are online and are labeled P. tripartita var. mollissima are in fact P. tarminiana. If the photo shows a picture of a flower opened flat it is not P. tripartita var. mollissima.

It's impossible to tell if seeds sold on Ebay or P. tarminiana or P. tripartita var. mollissima. This confusion is often through no fault of the seller. They may receive seeds of "P. mollissima", look up a photo (P. tripartita var. mollissima) and sell the seeds with the photo. Or they may even assume that P. tripartita var. mollissima is the updated name for the species and sell the P. tarminiana seeds as such.

Let's say someone really wants to buy P. tripartita var. mollissima because they prefer the flowers or because they've heard the fruit tastes better. Seeds from Ebay are probably a bad idea. If the person selling the seeds insists upfront that they know the difference and is selling the right thing your chances go up. If it's from a reputable seller who really knows Passiflora your chances are also higher. This forum would be a good source of opinions on which sellers are less likely to mis-ID a plant.

A botanical garden would be more likely to sell a correctly labeled plant (although, offhand I've never seen either P. tarminiana or P. tripartita for sale at a botanical garden). A very good nursery might be OK, although you'd probably want to see the plant in bloom.

Here is a link that might be useful: P. tripartita var. mollissima from CalPhotos

• figara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Myles.

Mark, thanks so much for the information. I appreciated.

I took the picture of the flower and the seeds:). I did not have the camera with me when I saw the passion vines but I picked a flower and I took the pictures later on when I got home.

Pat

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Pat,

What part of California are you from--was the plant growing far from you? I'm partly curious where in California these can be grown successfully. The other reason I ask is that if you are much farther inland from where you got the seed it may be trickier to grow the plant. Zone 9 in Southern California is usually in inland places that get hot; in Northern California zone 9 gets much closer to the coast.

• figara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Mark,

I live in SF Bay area (Peninsula). I guess you live around SF too.... I saw your posting with the nurseries and I know some of them. It is funny that I went to some nurseries at Half Moon Bay but I never went or knew about Strybing Arboretum. I found out about it from Karyn :)) Evan thou I am relatively close to SF I do not go there much. Maybe now I'll go to one of Strybing sales.
    Pat

• mark4321_gw
    14 years ago

Hi Pat,

I'm in the South Bay. I would imagine that P. tarminiana would do fine on the Peninsula--your climate is a little milder than ours. I grow P. x exoniensis, which is half "mollissima"--I don't think anyone knows which one. It's doing extremely well, although it hasn't been through a winter. I also grow P. tripartita var. mollissima, which hasn't bloomed yet, but did form nice buds until the worst heat wave coincided with the pruning of the neighbor's tree (= much more sun). I think tarminiana may tolerate higher temps than tripartita var. mollissima, although I've never grown it.

The Strybing sales have many things besides Passiflora and are definitely worth going to. What's amazing is that so few people go. They still had P. parritae 40 minutes after the sale began.

• figara
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Mark ,if you want to try to grow P.Tarminiana I can give you a few seeds. Let me know.

• lavenderlilly
    14 years ago

sad, here in Virginia, hearing you guys talk about all the great nurseries you can go and visit.....

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County