Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Passiflora 'Raspberries and Cream' ?? A P. gritensis hybrid

mark4321_gw
11 years ago

I just bought what is clearly a Passiflora gritensis hybrid. It was labeled Passiflora 'Raspberries and Cream' and I just assumed I would look it up when I got home. However, I am finding very little record of it, other than one photo. I'm curious what the parentage is. It looks to me a lot like Passiflora 'Anastasia' (P. gritensis x P. caerulea 'Constance Eliott'). It also looks a lot like P. 'Pink Festival', however the length of the peduncles is consistent with P. 'Anastasia', not P. 'Pink Festival'. I would not be surprised if it could be something other than those two.

Passiflora gritensis is one of my favorites, and it is a difficult species. There are hybrids that are very similar to P. gritensis but are easier growers.

I started 3 cuttings and will start more when the plant grows a little. I'll send the first one that roots, for postage, to whomever can provide the correct ID, assuming they are interested. It's possible this has been discussed on the Facebook Passiflora group, which I don't have access to as a nonmember.

I don't have a picture of a flower, and I'll link to one I found on the web at the bottom. There were plants in bloom, but those were in 5 gallon pots for $30 or so. I got a 1 gallon plant for $11. It is previously bloomed, and looks like it is about to grow like crazy. It has at least 10 growing points.

Here's the plant:

Here's a closeup of a peduncle. All of the penduncles are about 4 inches long. I've seen a P. gritensis flower with a foot long peduncle. P. 'Pink Festival' penducles are listed at 7-10 inches.

And here's the tag. I got it at a nursery called The Garden Company, in Santa Cruz, CA.

Here is a link that might be useful: A photo I found online of Passiflora 'Raspberries and Cream'

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Yard Sharks, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
High-Quality Lawn Care | Orange County, VA