Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

palmeri var sublanceolata and sanguineolenta

karyn1
16 years ago

Both my palmeri var sublanceolata and sanguineolenta have been growing beautifully all summer and are now huge but no flowers. The sanguineolenta has never bloomed and the pvs had two or three blooms early on when I first got it but none since. They are both in morning sun and dappled afternoon shade. I've tried moving them to get more sun but neither was happy so I moved them back. The foliage looks great on both with the sanguineolenta being much bushier then the pvs. I thought that maybe with the cooler temps I'd get flowers but that doesn't seem to be happening and it's almost time to move them for the winter. Is there anything I can do to get them to bloom, if not this season then next? They will be wintered over under HID lights but will need to be cut back significantly to get them inside.

Karyn

Comments (6)

• chena
    16 years ago

I would like to hear this answer also.. My Sanguineolenta has done well and cuttings root like crazy but no blooms..And the other I am very excited about..Thank you Karyn...
    Chena

• ogecko
    16 years ago

I can't say anything about those two species but I have a subpeltata that's been doing the same thing for 3-4-5 years: growing like crazy but no flowers. This year out of desperation I applied Peters Root 'N' Bloom fertilizer 5-50-17 2 or 3 times and I got 4 or 5 flowers - not a lot, but better than nothing! Of course, I can't prove that the fertilizer did it but the plant is certainly no bigger this year than previous years and it's in the same spot; also, I stopped getting flowers as soon as I stopped using the fertilizer.

• Ethane Zizyphus
    16 years ago

Something you might want to try (although not this year) is to plant them in the ground. I do this and dig them up in the fall. In every case a plant in the ground grows and blooms far better than its potted neighbors. My only regret is that I didn't do more of them earlier in the year. The ones I planted out in spring did way better than ones I planted out in early summer. It was sad to have to cut all of them back to move them indoors.
    -Ethan

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Ethan I have several passies in the yard this year and they do bloom better then many of my potted passies but I don't have anywhere in my yard that doesn't get full sun and I'm afraid these two will burn up. BTW this was the first year I planted them inground also and was very happy with the results. My only complaint is that some grew up and over my fence and into my neighbor's yard so she's enjoying more flowers then me! lol My P x belotii has found it's way onto a small dead tree in her yard and it really looks pretty. She was going to have the tree removed but has decided to wait until the passie dies back. I'm going to have to dig most of the passies up very soon. The majority of the varieties I have can't survive the winter in my zone. It's always sad this time of year when everything has to be cut back and moved to protect it from the cold. At least most do well under HID lights and will continue to bloom inside throughout the winter but the colors aren't as vibrant as they are outside.
    Karyn

• passionflow
    16 years ago

Karyn
    These should both flower easily in pots (they have done for me) and without any extra nutrition. Your problem could be too much nitrogen but I suspect (without knowing your climate) that they are simply too hot. A lot of people do not realise that as temperatures climb many Passiflora will stop flowering - with sometimes the effect being delayed. If by the time it is cooler their flowering period has passed then no flowers. Artificial lighting over winter can confuse them too as day length is a trigger for flowering in some. I no longer bother with grow lights over winter but just water a little daily from underneath keeping the plants very very dry - they will look a complete mess often with spider mite and other assorted bugs but will recover well each spring. Hope the link helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Passiflora flowering

• karyn1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I do think it might very well be the heat. I have them under a shade cloth in the coolest possible location but this past summer was so dreadfully hot. We were in the upper 90's to the low 100's for most of the past few months and just recently cooled down. The foliage growth has been fine, just no blooms and it's the ones that prefer a cooler climate. I just might not have a favorable environment for these varieties. Hopefully next summer's temps will be closer to the norm for this area. We do have hot humid summers but this year was extreme. I don't normally feed my passies much at all though I do give them some extra potassium and most seem to respond well. Maybe I can try a fan under the shade cloth next season. I have fans set up in my rabbit hutch during the summer and I could angle one towards the plants. I winter over too many plants inside that need the grow lights and am not heating the GH due to fuel costs so that's too cold for them. If they bloom over the winter that will be great, if not I'll wait and see what happens next year.
    Karyn

Sponsored
Landmark Surfaces / United Granite
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Award Winning Countertop Fabricator & Installer in Northern Virginia